Defences on top as Weston earn a replay
- Credit: Archant
Weston earnt a replay in the FA Trophy after drawing away at Bedford Town.
BEDFORD TOWN 0
DEFENCES dominated in this FA Trophy third qualifying round game at the Eyrie with neither side able to get a satisfactory conclusion.
Weston were without Kane Ingram, suspended for one game, Jamie Edge, injured, Ollie Barnes, cup tied, but loan signing from Bristol Rovers, Pierce Mitchell was back in defence where he enjoyed a solid game.
You may also want to watch:
Weston dominated the first-half, forcing eight corners and their first chance came on five minutes when Alec Fiddes tricked his way through the defence and forced a diving save from home keeper Garry Malone.
Bedford’s only chance of the game came on 15 minutes when skipper Ollie Wilkinson’s header was tipped over his crossbar by Weston keeper Luke Purnell at full stretch.
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 3 Villagers object to 'totally inappropriate' housing proposal
- 4 More than 100 rough sleepers supported during pandemic in North Somerset
- 5 Worle opticians wins award
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Cardiff City recall James Waite from loan spell with Weston
- 8 Wrington store nominated for best in South West
- 9 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 10 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
Minutes later, Jake Llewellyn forced a save from Malone with a header from Fiddes’ cross. Fiddes forced another Weston corner on 27 minutes when Malone dived to turn his effort behind.
Bedford came more into the game in the second half, enjoying long spells of possession, but were unable to breakdown the Weston back four of skipper Tom Jordan, Clayton Fortune, Mitchell and Llewellyn, while Purnell was never troubled. Their only chance was when Greg Ling fired just wide with a free kick.
The home defence coped better with the Weston defence whose best chance fell to Joe McClennan who forced a smart save from Malone.
Shots on target: Bedford 1, Weston 3.
Shots off target: Bedford 3, Weston 5.
Corners: Bedford 4, Weston 10.
Offsides: Bedford 2, Weston 0.
Free kicks conceded: Bedford 15, Weston 5.
Referee: John Hillier. Good game.
Bookings: Bedford, Parker. Weston, none.
Weston squad: Purnell, Mitchell, Llewellyn, Cane, Jordan, Fortune, Fiddes, Mawford (Brown 72), Harris (Camper 81), Grubb, McClennan (Ash 81). Subs (not used): Teale, Bath.
ON Saturday, Weston are back on Vanarama Conference South duty when second in the table Bromley provide the opposition.