Defending champions crushed

CHEDDAR have now scored 13 goals in two games against the champions for the last two years, a fine achievement from this young Cheddar side.

Cheddar 7

Bridgwater Res 2

CHEDDAR have now scored 13 goals in two games against the champions for the last two years, a fine achievement from this young Cheddar side.

Cheddar started in the best possible way when Paul Whittaker won the ball in midfield and played a perfect pass through to Adam Jones to open the scoring. Cheddar’s wide men, Simon Panes and Callum McManus, were causing havoc to the visitors defence and after 15 minutes Cheddar doubled the lead as McManus crossed for Jones to net his second of the game.

You may also want to watch:

With Manning and Whittaker controlling the centre of the park, Aaron Honeywell set up the third goal when his cross was met by Panes.

Just before the break, Cheddar wrapped the game up when Jones turned provider with a great pass to McManus, who comfortably beat the keeper to make it 4-0.

Most Read

After the break, Cheddar came out with a good attitude and soon after made it 5-0 as Jones got his hat-trick, but Bridgwater scored a consolation goal. Cheddar’s next goal came from an own goal.

Another defensive lapse in concentration saw Cheddar concede another goal before a superb cross by Paul Marquiss was headed home by Jones.

Cheddar’s afternoon was rounded off by the news that rivals Nailsea United and Shirehampton, both dropped home points and this sets up the yesterday’s (Wed) game against Shirehampton beautifully.

Keynsham Town Res 0

Weston St Johns 4

SAINTS produced a good performance to record a comfortable victory over Keynsham.

Saints started the brighter with midfielders Mark Adams, James Wotton, Ryan Hodrien and Jack Clark forcing Keynsham to defend deep.

The visitors took the lead when Andy Young’s superb pass found Ross Stockhall’s cross was fired home by Levi Marlow. Saints doubled the lead when Hodrien’s corner was headed on by Clark for Marlow to beat the keeper with a close-range header.

Saints’ defenders Dean Pierson, Juzzy Flavell, Andy Llewellyn and Andy Young were in outstanding form and looked threatening on the break with Stockhall, Clark and Marlow having chances to increase the lead. Just before half-time, keeper Joe Malik was tested for the first to keep the score 2-0.

After the break, Malik made another superb save when he tipped a long-range shot over the bar. Saints gradually regained control of the game and made it 3-0 when Llewellyn’s throw-in found Stockhall, who beat the keeper with a clever near post shot.

Near the end a superb pass from Ash Flavell sent Stockhall clear and he smashed the ball into the roof of the net to make the score 4-0. Keynsham still kept battling and only some excellent last ditch tackles by Flavell and Pierson preserved the Saints clean sheet and the 4-0 victory.

Bookers Wholesale player of the match was Dean Pierson.

Combe St Nicholas 2

Worle 0

WORLE went to Combe St Nicholas missing a couple of key players, but two new signings both showed up well on their debut.

The first half was all Worle and stopped Combe St Nicholas getting any shots on target at all. Playing with three at the back, which included new signing Ellis Osborne, Worle were quicker to the ball and sharper, but could not convert their superiority into goals

The second half started badly for Worle when they conceded in the first minute. Playing against the wind, Worle found it difficult to feed the front two. The midfield had a good game throughout, but it was from a corner that the home side doubled their lead further. Man of the match went to Jason Potter.

Worle have no game this week, but face Burnham away on February 19.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus