Deja vu at Chinnor

HISTORY repeated itself uncannily in two incidents at Thame.

CHINNOR 20 pts

WESTON 19 pts

HISTORY repeated itself uncannily in two incidents at Thame.

When Chinnor visited the Recreation Ground in October they were ahead in the second minute and eventually won the match with a try by wing Sebastian Corpe in time added and the same thing happened on Saturday.

You may also want to watch:

Weston were penalised from the kick-off and two line-out drives and a straight backs move saw Corpe score at the right corner.

Then, with time running out, with the Seasiders leading by 19-15, it was Corpe again who snatched victory. But after the hosts’ early score, the Seasiders were in charge for the following hour.

Most Read

In the 16th minute Steve Thompson, then Richard Bignell made inroads and from the latter, quick hands along the back line gave Paul Sprague the chance to level matters.

Chinnor defended well for the remainder of the half which ended at 5-5 but Weston soon took the lead.

A brace of kicks to the corner by James Mackay preceded seven phases which resulted in a try for Matthew Burns, a late replacement for the injured Jon Gallagher. Mackay converted and the Seasiders went further ahead in the 58th minute.

A strike against the put-in by Craig Withers started a backs attack, and when halted, a quick recycle saw Gavin Simpson and Andrew Glen present Sprague with his second try. Mackay added the goal points and the Seasiders were now 19-5 ahead. But this inspired Chinnor to widen their game.

The hosts had been nowhere near the Weston line for an hour but when they arrived, prop Joe Pickett charged over. Five minutes later they scored again through wing Pip Seymour.

By now, the visitors had faded with numerous tackles failing and in the 82nd minute Corpe’s coup-de-grace left them with only a losing bonus point.

Weston: J Waterman, S Thompson, M Burns, D Swartbooi, P Sprague, J Mackay, J Conway, D Swann, C Withers, S Donegan, A Glen, A Russell, G Sparks (c), R Bignell (J Rudkin 53, sin bin 68), G Simpson. Reps not used: S Waterman and D Doughty.

WESTON RFC’s club captain George Sparks made his 150th senior appearance in their match at Chinnor last week.

Sparks (29), was born in Manchester and was educated at Sidcot School.

He played for Somerset Schools 17 group and for the county colts before making his first team debut in the Powergen Cup at Redruth in September 2003.

In 2007/8 he was elected the club’s player of the year and his all-action performances this season have produced 10 tries, bringing his total to 32.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter