Depleted Burnham beaten

A depleted Burnham side were beaten 30-20 by North Bristol.

North Bristol 30 pts

Burnham 20 pts

BURNHAM travelled to North Bristol with a depleted squad of 16 players, not the ideal scenario to play a team that were riding high in the league.

Burnham started brightly and found themselves in North’s territory and soon took the lead from a penalty by Tim Piper, before North levelled with a penalty. With penalties starting to rack up it was only a matter of time until the inevitable happened and Bryan Webb was sin binned for an infringement at a maul.

You may also want to watch:

From the resulting penalty, North kicked to the corner and from the line-out they drove Burnham back to score a well-controlled try. Within a couple of minutes they scored their second to make it 15-3 at half-time.

Burnham were forced into a change at the break with captain Russ Pike going off with Matt Bonel coming on, but they soon conceded two more tries to take the score to 25-3.

Most Read

It took all of 55 minutes for Burnham to realise their strengths which was the dominant forward pack, so from every opportunity Burnham took scrums and line-outs and managed to score a pushover try with Stu Blake touching down.

Burnham scored again with a simple catch and drive which saw Sam Coles flop over to build the score up to 25-13. The comeback was soon ended when a mistake at the back let North through to take their total to 30-13.

Burnham had the final say of the game when they were awarded a penalty try to finish the scoreline off at 30-20.

Burnham 2nd XV 27

Tor 2nd XV 7

TOR turned up with only 14 men and managed to take an early lead with a converted try.

Burnham woke up and camped in Tor’s half, which allowed Greg Gosden to crash over to make it 5-7. Soon after, Ryan Reynolds forced his way over for his first-ever senior try to put the home team 10-7 up at half-time.

Burnham rang the changes at half-time with appearances from Ed Lewis, Dan Ford, Dan Thorne, Mark O’Regan, Mike Nash, Ash Morris and Joe Osgood.

A more composed half saw the home side run in a further three tries from Osgood, Ben Gibb and Lewis, with the later being converted by Alex Watkins, which secured the much needed bonus point and a 27-7 win.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus