Derby success for Development XV
- Credit: Archant
Hornets Development XV ran out winners in the local derby against Weston United.
Hornets Development XV 25 pts
Weston United 15 pts
A good surface, fit for running rugby, met Hornets Development XV and Weston United at The Nest.
A sizable crowd had gathered to view the game, no doubt hoping to see a repeat of the drawn match earlier in the season.
You may also want to watch:
Weston immediately gained the upper hand and after three minutes a penalty was kicked to the corner. The home side had no answer to the resultant catch and drive.
The next 15 minutes saw Weston’s set piece gain the ascendency, but Hornets redressed the balance with some fierce defence and good work at the breakdown.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 6 Hospital trust defends patient-to-nurses ratio increase
- 7 Airport to receive £8million grant to 'protect jobs'
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
- 10 Weston shop offering personalised fudge gift boxes
Hornets got on the scoreboard with a penalty by Declan Dorrington, but Weston replied with a kick of their own.
Some good interplay between backs and forwards saw Matt Cates find the gap to score, Dorrington added the conversion for the Hornets to take the lead. As the half came to an end, Dorrington kicked another penalty to extend their lead to 13-8.
Hornets came out of the blocks quickly in the second half, when returning outside-half Craig Nicholls threw a pass to Danny Bailey, who was able to step inside the last defender to score.
This seem to spark Weston into their best spell of the game, forcing a series of penalties, one of which was kicked to the corner. Again the Hornets had no answer to the resultant drive, the conversion was added making the score 18-15.
The score remained the same until the 38th minute when Nicholls raced clear to score under the posts, Dorrington added the extras to make the final score 25-15.