Derby victory for Banwell & Churchill
- Credit: Archant
Banwell & Churchill got their season under way with an eight-wicket victory against Mark.
BANWELL and Churchill finally got their season under way with a comfortable win against local rivals Mark.
Mark won the toss and elected to bat. A tight opening spell from opening bowlers Brooks (6-0-12-1) and Jones (6-0-8-0) put Mark on the back foot and had to start taking chances to score any runs.
Brooks’ hard work paid off when he got his first wicket, then with the bowling changes of Bush and Salter, the wickets started to tumble.
Salter was keeping the batsman quiet at one end while Bush bowled a superb spell that had the batsman in all sorts of trouble. Bush ended up with 6-22 and ended any hopes of Mark scoring a competitive total.
You may also want to watch:
Brett Diver and Masters came on and wrapped up the tail with a wicket apiece, leaving Mark all out for 97 in the 35th over.
Banwell’s opening batsman Carter and new signing Lloyd went out to face the first 10 overs before the tea interval.
- 1 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
- 2 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 3 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 4 Free workshops to raise awareness of seasonal affective disorder
- 5 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 6 Have your say on health services in Somerset
- 7 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 8 Ambitious West of England mass transit project motors forward
- 9 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 10 Police CCTV upgrade will boost response times and public protection
Carter scored a boundary in the first over, but then played on to the same bowler. Jones joined Lloyd and both batsman played patiently, before Jones upped the tempo before he was bowled for 35.
Gale did not waste much with some big shots and with the watchful Lloyd nudging the singles, Banwell got to their target in the 25th over with only two wickets lost. Lloyd ending on 15 not out and Gayle 25 not out.
This was a great start to the season gaining the full 35 points.
BANWELL & Churchill Cricket Club are holding their night at the races fundraiser on May 30 at Churchill Memorial Hall.
Sixteen local companies have sponsored the event where the doors and bar will be open from 7pm. There will be six races, where you can own your horse through the auction bids.
There are many auction prizes, including a night in a London hotel with a show for two people, a Blackberry Playbook 64gb tablet and a signed Somerset shirt to name a few.
Tickets are £5 for adults or £10 for family ticket (two adults, two children) which includes a ploughman’s style buffet.
To get tickets in advance, call Brad on 07709 768843.