Derby win for Yatton juniors

JUNIOR RUGBY - YATTON Under-9s visited Nailsea and Backwell, and despite the heavy rain that had fallen over the week, the ground was surprisingly firm and both teams were able to play clean entertaining physical rugby.

YATTON Under-9s visited Nailsea and Backwell, and despite the heavy rain that had fallen over the week, the ground was surprisingly firm and both teams were able to play clean entertaining physical rugby.

In an evenly matched game both teams appeared to be getting to grips with the demands of contact rugby. From Yatton's perspective the improvement in every game is vast, the young team are getting more confident in rucking, mauling and tackling and this was much evidenced by the way the game flowed with both teams having possession and little sound of the referee's whistle.

Nailsea began the more dominant and two hard-earned team tries saw them start to pull ahead. But Yatton battled hard and were rewarded when Archie Anderson put the first score on the board with a well-worked try in the right-hand corner. There was some excellent forward play by Nathan Porter, James Woodvine and man of the match Connor Smith and some excellent tackling from Harry Bidwell-Ford, James Caygill and Robbie Crew.

Yatton began to dominate, but despite plenty of possession struggled to breach the Nailsea defence. Jay Murray looked like he was through to the line with one of his darting runs but Nailsea players got hands to him and bundled him into touch.

You may also want to watch:

Dylan Wallis finally evened up the score for Yatton with a great piece of play ripping the ball from a lone Nailsea player to race to the try line. In a physical but cleanly played game Finbar Lawrence was unlucky to get the only injury.

Yatton went into the lead after Billy Mackay showed some great driving skills on the Nailsea line-out and drove the Nailsea players backwards for Dylan Wallis to grab the ball and set off down the wing, but a last-ditch tackle saw him bundled into touch but the referee deemed it a high tackle and awarded Yatton a penalty try.

Most Read

Both teams defended and attacked hard but Nailsea in possession managed to move the ball up the pitch for a final forwards' try as the last move of the game. With both teams playing their hearts out a 3-3 draw seemed some how fitting.

WESTON Under-14s lost 29-5 to Frampton Cotterell in the Bristol Combination Plate.

Frampton kicked off and immediately put Weston under a pressure and scored in the corner and converted. But forwards Casey Stanton, Louis Jory, Curtis Hobbs, Jack Caulifield ,Connor Dobson, Jamie Greatorex, Matt Reeves and Bradley Harvey came back at Frampton and started to win rucks and mauls but little mistakes started to creep in to the game allowing Frampton to score again.

The game started to become a bit of a fiery affair with a couple of the Weston and Frampton players having a talking to by the referee, but Billy Fisher managed to keep the ball and control the backs, Sam Clark, Kye Carpenter, Kieran Pulsford, Jordan Bolitho, John Xhan and Joe Cooper, but the heads dropped slightly, allowing Frampton to score again.

At half time Weston were 29 points down and with a couple of changes when Adam Benz, P J Grimes, Zack Bartlett and Jacob Scanlon came on, the team managed to keep Frampton back in their own half and after a lot pressure from both the forwards and backs, Jordon Bolitho managed to find the gap and run from the half-way line and score. But the team kept their heads held high and kept the pressure on .Barcode Youth Cafe and Weston Youth Council man of the match went to Curtis Hobbs with some outstanding tackles.

Weston Rugby Club Under-10s would like to thank Chris Brees from Seymour Roofing and Building Supplies and Mark Howard from Howard Site Services for their new shirts.

HORNETS Under-13s travelled to Dursley and even though the game was played under atrocious conditions, both sides played some attractive rugby.

In the first half, Hornets forwards and in particular Curtis Langdon, Michael Doe, James Locker and Miles Schuker played some of their best rugby of the season, winning plenty of balls which gave the threes a good platform to make good ground.

Hornets first try came after the ball was passed along the line to Thomas Davison who raced in to touch down. The second came after Josh Caufield ran almost three-quarters of the field to score, this try was converted by Lawrence Ware. Try number three came from Kieran Manning and again was converted by Lawrence. Dursley then had a good period and managed to pull back the deficit with a try and conversion. Hornets then took total control and scored a further four tries in the remainder of the first half, one to Dan Bosworth, one more to Thomas and a further two to Josh.

The second half saw several changes to Hornets team but they still continued to play good rugby. Dursley came more into the game and only good defencive work especially by Jacob Swain, Byron Marriott and Curtis managed to keep Dursley in check, even so they still managed to score two tries, one of which was converted.

However Hornets finished the stronger, scoring a further three tries, two to Jamie Hoare and one more to Thomas with Lawrence converting two. Final score Hornets 60 points, Dursley 19.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter