Derek awarded top accolade at Weston
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Derek Hannam was awarded the Clubman of the Year award at Weston Rugby Club’s presentation evening.
FORMER centre Derek Hannam won the Clubman of the Year award at Weston Rugby Club’s presentation evening at the clubhouse last Friday.
Forty-nine-year-old Hannam started his club career in the Seasiders’ Under-13 team and went through the age groups before making his senior debut at Barnstaple in December 1984.
He went on to make 155 first team appearances, 108 for the United and 119 for the Athletic before retiring as a player in 2010.
For the last four years he has been deeply involved in the club’s colts and junior sections and his award was well received.
You may also want to watch:
Tony Russell presented the Chairman’s Cup to secretary Rob Soloman.
The 1st XV Young Player Trophy was won by hooker Craig Withers, the player of the season went to No 9 Sam Smee and the players’ player to lock Dave Bufton.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 New leadership team for charity
- 6 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 7 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Retiring coach Paul Redman was presented with a memento by co-head coach Steve Worrall.
Earlier, the United’s player of the year was Joe Pullen and the players chose prop Jake Whatley as their outstanding player of the season.
Team manager Andrew Ballard told the meeting that 85 players had appeared for the Athletic XV and that the player of the year was wing Joe McGrath, and the young player award went to centre Mike McCarthy.
The colts awards were introduced by Duncan Kingscott, who presented the Colt of the Year Trophy to George Chapman.
The other awards were – Young Colt: Lawrence Ware; Murray Kirkbride Trophy for loyalty: Josh Burton and players’ player: Josh Wheeler.
The Ann Whatley Memorial Trophy went to Andrew Bridgman, the Peter Spencer Award to Dave Simpson and the George White Unsung Hero Trophy to scoreboard operator Oliver Ridge.
The master of ceremonies for the event was Rob Soloman.