Disappointing season for Weston boxers
- Credit: Archant
A disappointing season has just ended for Weston Boxing Club.
Weston Boxing Club has endured a disappointing season, many contests lost by split decisions.
There were close defeats for Sam Higgins, aged 17, at Filton, followed by Terry Price (15) in Wales and Poole. Josh Attwell (11) lost a 50/50 split at Barton Hill and at Camborne, before Jily Lamb (13) gave the club some glory at Trowbridge, only to lose two days later at Downend.
Wesley Williams (14) enjoyed back-to-back wins before reaching the semi-finals of the National Junior Championships, which took place in Birtley, Tyne and Wear, and faced Shabhir Hashemi from Southampton.
Both boxers were of similar build and it was mostly a tit-for-tat throughout the contest, making a difficult decision for the officials, who they found in favour of the Southampton boxer by split decision.
You may also want to watch:
Further disappointment for the club came when they unfortunately had to cancel its home show recently, due to lack of local business support, coach John Cleary has never experienced this in his 20 years of coaching.
- 1 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 2 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 3 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 4 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 5 Weston woman celebrates a century
- 6 Council reveals cost for new primary school
- 7 Chef with Michelin star experience shares 'ultimate winters seafood' recipe
- 8 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 9 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 10 North Somerset Council urges businesses to apply for grant funding