District League capture county title
Weston & District Football League won the Somerset County Inter-League Mavis Tate Cup final at Cheddar against the Bridgwater Sunday League.
WESTON & District Football League won the Somerset County Inter-League Mavis Tate Cup final at Cheddar 3-2 on penalties after the game finished 3-3 after extra time.
Weston started brightly, but went a goal down when a long ball enabled Bridgwater to go one up. Weston continued to have the better of the game and equalised when Mat Cotton set up Jack Nicholas to pick his spot.
The second half took the same path, with Weston using the possession well and they took the lead when Chris Corner’s cross was met perfectly on the half-volley by Dean Romaines.
Romaines had two good chances to stretch the lead, but was thwarted by good defending. Unfortunately another long ball led to a Bridgwater equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
Bridgwater Sunday League had their best period, but every time they got the better of the Weston defence, they found keeper Alex Blake in outstanding form.
Early in the period of extra time, Callum Ham spread the ball out to Dan Bushell who beat his defender and crossed the ball back to Ham to score from outside the area to give Weston a 3-2 lead, but Weston were undone by yet another long ball over the top to force a penalty shoot-out.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
Both sides missed penalties and it came down to Ham to score the final spot kick to claim the cup.
Andy Cooper had an excellent game at centre-back, Ham was influential in midfield, but man of the match was keeper Alex Blake.
Squad: Alex Blake, Chris Corner, Andy Cooper, Sam Ottway, Jeff Hazell, Callum Ham, Wes Bracey, Jack Nicholas, Dan Jones, Dean Romaines, Mat Cotton, Dave Payne, Dan Bushell, Leon Parsons.