Donnegan’s two tries keep Weston on top

A GOOD contested game started well with Weston Under-10 forwards Lewis Hicks, Reece White and Rhys Matthews scrummaging well, releasing backs Matthew Ogbourne and Daniel Harness.

A GOOD contested game started well with Weston Under-10 forwards Lewis Hicks, Reece White and Rhys Matthews scrummaging well, releasing backs Matthew Ogbourne and Daniel Harness.

Cheddar replied with the only try of the first half. In the second half, Hicks scored a well-worked try resulting in a draw.

The second game saw things open up as both sides tested each others’ defensive line, and despite Will Durston’s great tackle, Cheddar scored an early try.

Weston soon responded as Ryan Donnegan ran the length of the pitch to score. Donnegan added to his tally in the second half taking Weston into the lead. This was followed by a Joe Harper try and another for Cheddar for a final score of 3-2 to Weston.

You may also want to watch:

Weston Under-10s sponsor Ian Nicholds of Ian Nicholds Construction presented the team with their new kit and the lads and coaches would like to thank him for his support.

The Under-11s welcomed a spirited and large Cheddar side to the Rec for the first home fixture of 2011.

Most Read

Despite only having eight players (Weston loaning their visitors four), Cheddar contributed to a fine display of attacking rugby, combined with some ferocious tackling from both teams in what turned out to be a great advert for the junior game.

Weston were first out of the blocks and following some powerful driving runs from Josh Gardner , Mitchell Bird and Jack Howard, loosehead prop George Bamsey went over for the opening score.

Cheddar replied almost instantly with a fine try of their own to level the scores. Weston then began to find their stride and following some great passages of open play involving Adam Rogerson, Jess Dadds and Jamie Wheeler, Weston added further scores from Jack Howard, the excellent Sam Kerrigan and Archie Tilsley for a 28-7 lead.

The second half showed no letting up in the frantic pace of the game, but with Eddie Davies having his best game in some time, supported in the loose by hooker Jimmy Bamsey, Weston were too strong, adding further tries by Kerrigan, Bamsey, Wheeler and Tilsley.

Tilsley added seven conversions and Bamsey one as Weston won 56-7.

Weston Under-8s played host to Cheddar and lost both of their closely fought encounters.

In the first game, great tagging from Dillon Way, Tom Burge and Jamie Edgar provided a good platform for the home team and tries from Bradley Robinson and Jamie Edgar kept the home team in contention.

But not even four tries from the outstanding Alfie Calcott could bring the home side victory and they eventually lost the game 8-6.

In the second game, it was unfortunately a similar story with good contributions from an ever-improving Ellie Redman and a returning Louis Satherley.

Calcott again provided the majority of the tries (3) and excellent tagging from Bradley Robinson, Tom Burge and Jackson Webb kept the visitors in sight.

Tries from Dillon Way, Lewis Underhill and Lottie Dadds kept the pressure up, but a late turnover gifted the away side a try which sealed their 8-6 victory.

The Under-9s played at home to Cheddar Under-10s captained by Jack Press.

Cheddar scored first, but Weston soon equalised with a try from Hayden, following a brilliant tackle by Jack P.

Keelan was prominent with some great tackling and support play. Lewis P had a good run and scored the second try for Weston. Liam showed how fast he was with a great run in the second half and there was solid defence by Lewis K, Joe, Billy, Oliver and Jack.

Final score was 4-2 to Cheddar and the man of the match was Joe, who will captain next week.

The Under-7s had a close encounter with Cheddar at home. Both sides got off to a fast start both scoring quickly with George Nuttycombe getting the first score for Weston after good running from Jacob Simpson and William Flavin in support.

Cheddar scored twice quickly with two tries from the halfway line. Danny Bamsey showed his pace early on, supported by Cameron, Sam and Ben Crook, by scoring two excellent tries.

There was some great tagging from the Weston team, especially Huw Matthews and Jacob Simpson, taking the first half to 4-3 to Cheddar.

The second half was just as close with Weston continuing to push hard. There was a great first try for Brett Robinson, quickly followed by another first try for the club by Mason Penny.

Cheddar also had some success with two tries. Penny gave great support and helped Tom Blythe score in the corner, Cheddar scored again taking the match to 7-6 to the visitors, until Hew Edwards went over in the dying seconds to level the match at 7-7.

HORNETS Under-9s travelled to Keynsham to play their hosts and also Combe Down.

The results of each game could not have been much different. Combe Down were first to score a try with Hornets half asleep. The Hornets defence then tightened up with plenty of good tackling from Aiden McComisky, Reeve Bailey and Tim Morris.

It was then all one-way traffic with Hornets dominating. They replied in the first half with tries from Tom Reid (2) and Aiden.

The second half was also all Hornets as decent runs from Alex Leach and Ben Cooke resulted in tries, plus a superb rolling maul into the corner. Four more tries from Alex, Aiden, Reeve and Reef Morton made it 7-1 to Hornets.

The game against Keynsham resulted in a big lesson for Hornets on how to tackle low, rip the ball off the opposition and effective rucking. There were some solid tackles from Aiden and Reeve and the lone try from Lawrence Pilgrim into the corner.

But Hornets lost 6-1 in a slightly bruising encounter, which is their heaviest defeat in over two years.

The Under-12s travelled to Keynsham to play two large, tough sides in a round robin. Hornets played Avon first and right from the first whistle they knew they were in a game. Louie Vernacombe was playing well and Esme Bird was ever present and gained territory many times, whilst Josh Entwistle tackled hard.

Liam Fitzpatrick, Jacob Parkman and Brandon Robinson were on top form, whilst Paddy Holyday was disruptive with his storming runs.

Avon managed a couple of tries before half-time and in the second half, Bryn Solomon kept Hornets going forward and Jordan Humphris used his touch finding kicks well.

Blake Williams and Spencer Coe in the centre tackled well with Matthew Balcombe and Freddie Dolcezza bossing their flanks well, leaving Alex Francis to mop up as last defence.

Their larger pack enabled Avon to gain good territory, whilst solid defence kept them out, but eventually Hornets conceded right on full time.

Hornets then played a well-organised Keynsham side, but Harry Taylor tackled well, while Thomas Cocking posed a threat out wide and defended well and Tiah Lauder prevented tries from being scored.

Bryn Turner was bundled into touch after a fine move along the line, started by Keane Williams in his new role of fly-half. Keynsham did manage a couple of tries in each half to run out deserved winners.

Hornets Under-10s travelled to strong rivals Keynsham. The first two games were played with both clubs fielding mixed ability teams. Keynsham lived up to expectations showing their strength by winning both games, with Hornets managing to score only two tries through Charlie Fairhurst and Eddie Williams.

The following two games saw a development team fielded, followed by a stronger team. The Hornets lads, Sebastian Wood, Joe Frost, Thomas Howling, Eddie Williams, Ethan Loveridge, Connor Hill, Jack Weaving, Tom Cattermole and Kyle Godwin performed well after a nervy first-half where they found themselves two tries to nil down.

They did themselves proud in the second half, showing excellent defence and good strength going forward, which demonstrated great potential throughout. The game ended two tries to nil.

The final game gave Hornets stronger team of Rhys Clarke, Lois Bird, Owen Brake, Bradley Lucas, Ayden Chenoweth, Luke Collins, Charlie Fairhurst, Nathan Langdon and Ewan McComisky the opportunity to test them against a team that won the Somerset Cup and three festivals last season.

Hornets started strongly with some huge tackles and ferocious rucking which prevented Keynsham getting into their stride. The attacking skills on show were equally matched by both teams.

However, the defensive qualities were at their best with the game ending in a 0-0 draw.

Hornets Under-15s followed up last week’s cup success with a 13 try win over Nailsea&Backwell.

Hornets played some great rugby and looked to offload at every opportunity, coupled with the referee’s excellent vision and awareness to play long advantages, which led to a number of exciting tries being scored.

Francis led the way with three, while Mehmet, Greatbanks and Brake grabbed two apiece and Massey, Caulfield, Smith and Xanh one each. Francis added three conversions and Davidson four to complete a 79-0 victory.

Smith and Massey caused havoc throughout with their strong ball carrying, while Saunders, Mehmet and debutant Price looked dangerous on the wings, but it was all-action prop Reseigh, who was awarded the man of the match award.

The Under-7s travelled to Keynsham and played games against Combe Down and the hosts.

Adam and Alex showed their evasive running skills, beating several defenders to both score great tries. The defence was good with Oliver, Lewis, Daniel and Robson hounding the opposition at every opportunity, which led to a number of turnovers.

Charlie caused problems for the other teams and was supported well by Finley, Max and Oscar, who also produced some great tags. Andon made ground with some strong running and Roman scored a fine try in the corner.

The Windell Laundrette player of the day was shared between Helen and Tony.

Hornets Under-14s entertained Old Culverhaysians in the first round of the Somerset Cup. Although Hornets won the match by seven tries to two, it was never easy, and they had to work hard to gain their win.

The game started with the threes making penetrating runs, but the defence by Old Culverhaysians was excellent. Hard grafting in the loose by the Hornets forwards eventually told, the ball being passed along the threes to Byron Marriot, who raced over for the first try.

The second try was scored by Scott Warman after a surging run by the forwards, this was converted by Kieran Manning. Gareth Brock scored the third try which again was converted by Manning. In the dying moments of the first half, Old Culverhaysians forced their way over to score a converted try.

The second half saw the Hornets score a further four tries through Byron, Gareth, Jamie Hoare and Danny Bailey, one was converted by Manning. Old Culverhahsians never gave up and scored a second try for a final score of 41-12.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter