Double success for Worle School sports teams
- Credit: Archant
Worle Community School sports teams completed a fine double, winning a county title and becoming North Somerset champions.
WORLE Community School PE department completed a fine double, with the Under-14 girls winning the county cup final and the Year 9 hockey team crowned North Somerset champions.
The football team won 3-1 in the final at Street after playing four knockout games.
The teamwork was immense with organised defence led by captain Georgia Ferdinando. Saskia Moore and Lauryn Nigh should be mentioned for their work ethic and all the goals all came from Desni Darch, including one set up by Year 7 Lauren Small in year 7. Hannah Worley kept the score down with a brave one-on-one save
Miss Gibbons said: “I am a very proud PE teacher, well done and congratulations to the girls on a massive achievement.”
You may also want to watch:
Team: Georgia Ferdinando, Eva Ferdinando, Desni Darch, Saskia Moore, Orla Crabb, Hannah Worley, Hannah Pratt, Lauren Small, Katie Bowskill, Lauryn Nigh, Aimee Cox, Katie Reynolds, Elana Titcombe, Phoebe Payton.
The Year 9 hockey team continued their unbeaten season and were crowned North Somerset champions for the third time in a row.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 4 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 8 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 9 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 10 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
The tournament was held at Priory and the girls easily won their pool, winning 1-0 against Gordano A, 3-0 against Sidcot, 2-0 against Nailsea and drawing 0-0 with Backwell.
Excellent defence came from Matti Atkinson and Orla Crabb, with goals coming from Bebby Hall, Holly Wadsworth, Mary Gatehouse and Saskia Moore.
The girls used many of the tactics and skills they have been working on in academy sessions, where they train up to four times a week in hockey season.
In the semi-finals, Priory beat Churchill School 2-0. The goal of the tournament came from Darch, smashing a short corner into the backboard. After the team talk the girls were fired up for the final where we faced Backwell again.
In the final against Backwell, early goals came from Mary Gatehouse and man of the match Darch.
Thanks go to Phoebe Payton, who had little to do during the tournament as the goalkeeper.
Team: Desni Darch, Mary Gatehouse, Cherie Broadfield, Matti Atkinson, Holly Wadsworth, Saskia Moore, Phoebe Payton, Eva Ferdinando, Robyn Brown, Georgia Ferdinando, Lauren Hodgkin, Meg Elliot, Orla Crabb, Bebby Hall.