Early start for Weston athletes
- Credit: Archant
Weston Athletic Club members have been busy taking part in a sprint triathlon at Burnham.
WESTON Athletic Club members were up with the lark on Sunday morning to take on the Burnham sprint distance triathlon - a 500m pool swim, followed by 20k road cycling and finally a 5k run.
David Stock finished first for the club in 1.02.58 and eighth overall. Phil Tomlinson was next in 1.07.56 and Rich Ford took third in 1.09.48. Kira Thorpe was first back for the club women, and finished second overall in her age category in 1.12.21.
Other club runners hot-footed it down to Yeovil for the Ninesprings 9k off-road race, which offered a humid, hilly, but a scenic challenge through park and woodland.
Matt Wheeler was the first club male to finish in 41.21, followed by Phil Richards as first WAC female in 45.27 and third female overall.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Snelling bagged the second club place for the men in 45.57 and was also second in his age category, with John Hinchliffe taking third spot in 48.04. Rachael Vincent finished second for the women in 49.36, followed by Julie Shergold in 58.45, who also finished second in her age category.
Particular mention must also go to Simon Andrews, who crossed the line in a respectable 51.23, having already completed the Burnham tri the same morning.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 New leadership team for charity
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Entry is now open for the club’s next race which is the off-road five-mile Beacon Batch fell run on June 17.
The club also organises training and social runs throughout the summer and more information on the club’s events and becoming a member can be found at www.westonac.co.uk