Emma hits a hat-trick for Winscombe
- Credit: Archant
Emma Caney hit a hat-trick for Winscombe ladies 3rd XI in their 8-0 demolition of Wells City Acorns.
Winscombe Ladies 3rd XI 8
Wells City Acorns 0
WINSCOMBE thirds hit top form when they faced an under-strength Wells team in the only league match of the half-term weekend for the club.
Winger Shirley Hartshorne opened the scoring after Emma Caney set up the ball for her to slip a shot past the keeper. Caney scored two goals in quick succession after good work by Emma Whitehead and Ella Byrne.
You may also want to watch:
Good work by Sarah Kempster, Heather Batchelor and Hartshorne set up Helen Sinclair for the fourth. Shortly before half-time, Whitehead found Gail Izzard unmarked and her shot was deflected over the line by Byrne at the far post.
Although 5-0 down at half-time Wells continued to fight in the second half, defending well and making several good attacks, which kept Winscombe defenders Jo Sawtell, Jo Hann, Kempster and keeper Vicky Whittacker on their toes.
- 1 Businesses refused to reopen after lockdown due to staff safety fears in Weston town centre
- 2 Weston family who had home transformed featured on DIY SOS
- 3 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
- 4 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 5 Winter Gardens set to open newly refurbished eatery
- 6 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Yatton artist releases charity single with Hamilton star
- 9 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 10 Sharon cooks thousands of meals throughout coronavirus lockdown – despite breaking her arm while fundraising
Youngsters Imogen Marsh and Katie Bowskill both had excellent games, with Bowskill rounding off a great display by slotting home two short corners.
The final goal was a joy to watch as four of Winscombe’s young players combined brilliantly. Marsh worked the ball to Bowskill, who in turn found Byrne positioned on the backline and her pass into the D was converted by Caney for her hat-trick.
Winscombe’s captain, Gill Harvey, recuperating after a major operation was there to cheer her team on and the team all wish her well in her recovery.
John Hodge Solicitor’s player of the match was Ella Byrne.