End-of-season ladies’ doubles event
- Credit: Archant
A popular ladies’ end-of-season doubles event was held at Uphill Badminton Club.
Uphill Badminton Club’s C team completed their season with a home match to already crowned league winners Mendipway.
The team of Luke Morgan, Glyn Davis Matt Valentine, Maureen Mathews, Lauren Rickwood and Julie O’Sullivan all played well, but came up against a strong Mendipway line up.
Despite several close games, Mendipway’s all-round strength shone through and they took the match 9-0 to ensure they gained promotion to division 1 as league champions.
The C team ended the season with 22 points and one win from their 10 games, meaning a return to division 3 for next season.
You may also want to watch:
The week also saw the popular end-of-season internal club ladies’ tournament.
This saw a round robin box of six pairs with each pair playing the other with the top two pairs going on to play a final.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 4 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 5 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 8 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 9 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 10 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
With many competitive games and several 21-20s, the top two pairs after the group stage were Maureen and Anna Collins with 105 pts, followed by Lauren Rickwood and Anna Bickell (103), Stephanie Hancocks and Dannie Stone (98) and Bethan Dunning and Georgia Wood with 97.
This left the final between Maureen and Anna Collins (+4) and Lauren Rickwood and Anna Bickell (+4). With the same handicap, the final was a close affair and up to 15-15 there was nothing in it. Lauren and Anna slowly edged ahead and took the title 21-19.
Thanks go to Robin for his on night organisation and his handicapping helpers.