English Open victory for Jonny
- Credit: Archant
Entering the WUMA English Open kickboxing tournament at late notice, Jonny Para fought his way to first place.
FOURTH Dan instructor Ian Simpson and one of his students Jonny Para, from the Centurions Kickboxing Club, Weston, returned from the WUMA English Open kickboxing tournament in Worcester with a first and second place result.
Para, who took the opportunity to fight along side his instructor at short notice, excelled in his category and in the final he showed superior skill and technique, while also demonstrating discipline and courtesy throughout the fight and gaining a unanimous decision for his well-deserved first place win.
Simpson, aged 46 years, took to the tournament to challenge himself at the start of this year and to reassert his skills as an instructor.
Simpson had a tough fight in the final of his category and for the first half of the fight had the advantage over his opponent with a succession of well executed punching and kicking combinations, outsmarting and putting his opponent on the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
His opponent, who was 10 years the junior of Simpson, gained the advantage by countering the attack with an array of fast jab, cross, hook and roundhouse combinations.
Simpson fought back in the final elements of the fight, but the decision in the end went to his opponent and left Simpson with a respectable second place.
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Villagers object to 'totally inappropriate' housing proposal
- 3 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 4 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 5 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 6 More than 100 rough sleepers supported during pandemic in North Somerset
- 7 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 8 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 9 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 10 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
Centurions is a light and semi-contact kickboxing club run with the emphasis on the true spirit of martial arts and its disciplines. It also trains and can facilitate the training requirements of full contact fighters upon request.
It is a small and well run, friendly club for adults that simply want to learn new skills and keep fit. Centurions kickboxing instructors are fully insured and hold full public liability insurance and are proud to be associated to the World United Martial Arts Federation.
Centurions Kickboxing Club train at Top Flight Gym, 17 North Street, Weston, BS23 1QF. Contact 01934 643299 or 07973 347617 for further details.