Exciting cup final
TABLE TENNIS - IT was a competitive but enjoyable Archdale Cup final between Walton Village and Cleeve and Claverham Clevedon.
IT was a competitive but enjoyable Archdale Cup final between Walton Village and Cleeve and Claverham Clevedon.
Matt Fligelstone (8), who had just celebrated his 17th birthday, got Walton off to a flying start when he kept at bay 18-year-old James Bessant (11), James not quite getting his length in their long rallies, Matt winning 10 and 15.
The second match was between 12-year-old Callam Parkins and Walton Village's Mike Elliott (10) who was actually celebrating his 16th birthday. One game each, the close third saw them neck and neck 15, 18, and then 20-all, Parkins just clinching the set with the last point.
Walton took the next when Andy Elliott's greater experience, despite his handicap of three, helped him to defeat Max Jeremiah (14) by steadily picking up points to win on 14 and 15. Bessant won the next for Clevedon from Mike Elliott 20 and 16.
You may also want to watch:
Fligelstone, playing well, wore down Jeremiah in the next encounter to win the first game on 12, and in the second, much closer level pegging at 11-all, Jeremiah not able to catch up lost out 21-17.
Parkins kept his cool against Andy Elliott, to take the first game on 16; Elliott reversing the score in the second. Some excellent play in the decider saw Parkins win 21-12.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
The next two also went to Clevedon, Jeremiah beating Mike Elliott 16 and 19; James Bessant sealing the match for Clevedon with 15 and 12, winning games over Andy Elliott.
Fligelstone played a brilliant final match against Parkins winning 16 and 19 and was the only player to succeed in all three of his contests. Clevedon won 5-4 what was a closely fought and sporting final.
The annual general meeting and awards ceremony of the Weston and District Table Tennis League will be held at the Arosfa Hotel, Weston, on Monday, June 14, at 7.30pm. At least one member of each team is required to attend. New players and teams welcome.