Exciting league matches
There were some exciting table tennis matches in the Weston & District Table Tennis League.
THERE were some exciting table tennis matches in the Weston & District Table Tennis League.
Table-topping Cleeve and Claverham Pythons took on third-placed Bleadon Vets A, while second-placed N&B Tigers faced bottom-placed Totterdown Flamingos.
After some great play and close games, Pythons ran out 10-0 winners and N&B managed to win 9-1.
A great performance by Lyudmila Cronin (Flamingos) saw her win a tough match against Steve Charlton (Tigers). A dominant performance by Rob Hansen and Dave Hunt for Winscombe Rebels led to an 8-2 victory away to Totterdown Demons.
You may also want to watch:
In Division 2, Hans Price Academy defeated N&B Pumas 26-14. Each of the Hans Price players has improved significantly since the start of the season and are growing in confidence, with man of the match Simon Palmer remaining undefeated.
Pumas’ James Dedicoat won two of his matches including a see-saw match with Mat Szymankiewcz. Sam Walsh (Hans Price) did well to come back from 2-1 down against reserve Andy Settle (Pumas) to win 3-2. Andy also had a tight match with Simon, which Simon won in five.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Former Weston loanee Waite confirms Cardiff City departure
- 3 May 17: Restaurants reopen indoors and soft play areas welcome youngsters
- 4 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 5 May 17: Backwell pool reopens after £400k works
- 6 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 7 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 8 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 9 Potter hails 'invaluable' Cheddar experience will help at Wells City
- 10 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
To cap off the match, the first game in the doubles was extraordinary being won 23-21 by James and Andy, but Sam and Simon went on to win the match.
Top of the table Veterans took an early lead against Worlebury Golf Club when Ann Sandford beat Colin Chandler and John Barcham beat Alex Chandler. Worlebury won five of the next six matches before Barcham beat Colin Chandler.
There was a debut for Claire Norvill, who did score a point for Veterans. In the doubles, Alex Chandler and John Ratajczak played well to defeat Sandford and Barcham as Worlebury won 19-13.
Second-placed Warriors were beaten 16-21 at home by an in-form Totterdown. George Evans was unbeaten for Totterdown and dad Derrick supported by winning two of his matches. Peter Joiner (Warriors) came back from 2-1 down to win 3-2.
Peter teamed up with Dave Parker to win the doubles against George Evans and Paul Wright in three.
For full match cards, check out the website www.tabletennis365.com/weston-super-mare