Explosive prom run
- Credit: Archant
The latest prom run had to be re-routed due to the seafront fireworks display.
A RECORD number of 296 runners took on the Weston Prom Race, a five-mile event which had to be re-routed due to the seafront fireworks display.
But the brief diversion onto the road, and the extra turns thrown in for good measure did not stand in the way of some blistering performances.
Against a backdrop of stunning fireworks, the first three to finish were Ben Robinson of Bristol and West AC in 26.35, Chris Old of Weston AC in 27.00 and Russell Forsbrook of Cheltenham AC right behind in 27.15.
The first three females back were Serane Stone of Tiverton Harriers in 29.46, Phil Richards of Weston in 32.24 and Julie Poole of Clevedon hot on her heels in 32.26.
You may also want to watch:
Following two silvers for Weston AC, the next male club members home were Dominic Taylor-Jones in 28.55 and Kieron Summers in 29.24. Second and third placed Weston females were Cheryl Valentine in 36.27 and Tamara Bourne in 37.21.
Particular mention must go to race stalwarts Mike Vowles and Chris Edwards who both put in their speediest runs to date, finishing in 46.03 and 46.48 respectively.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 6 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 7 People encouraged to have Covid booster to protect them from virus
- 8 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 9 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 10 WIN: Tickets to UK Pink Floyd at Weston Playhouse
The one-mile junior run saw Jaylan Bacon, Oliver Cunningham and Ollie Lock come back in 5.36, 5.54 and 5.55 respectively for the boys. For the girls, the spoils went to Lucy Maine, Eleanor Redman and Connie Ballentine in 6.00, 6.33 and 6.40.
The fourth five-mile Prom Run in the series takes place on December 12 at 7.30pm. As usual, it will be preceded by the one mile race at 6.45pm, which is free for under-16s.
More information about race entries and all the club’s other activities can be found on the club’s website at www.westonac.co.uk