Fast start for Winscombe


****************** - Credit: Archant

Winscombe got off to a great start with a try in the first minute against Keynsham.

Winscombe 46 pts

Keynsham 2nd XV 16 pts

WINSCOMBE got off to a great start when Greg Brown’s clean catch was quickly fed to Owen Howell, whose powerful run produced room for James Flower to run through for a try in the first minute.

From the restart, Keynsham drove through their forwards and it took excellent play by Simon Thompson to avert the danger. From the line-out, Keynsham drove forward again, but Adam Scrase brought them to a halt.

You may also want to watch:

The Winscombe pack then gave their opponents a warning of things to come, winning the first of many strikes against the head for Nock to send Howell through a gap to feed Flower for his second try, which was converted.

A Keynsham kick was superbly defended by Howell, Aaron Ford and Flower under pressure to send Thompson on a powerful run, supported by Ford to win a relieving penalty.

Most Read

Winscombe won their throw-in on halfway and Ford’s direct running produced some space for Howell to find George House running a beautiful line for a fine try on 25 minutes.

Keynsham managed some dangerous attacks, but each time were foiled by good tackles from Brown, Ford, Howell, and Will Thomas twice, aided by turnovers by Will Higginbottom and Ryan Robinson handed on to Dan Fryer.

Winscombe’s line was eventually crossed when Keynsham kicked to the corner from a penalty and a driving maul took them over for a converted try.

Winscombe took three points with a kick from the ten metre line, but it was cancelled out two minutes later. Winscombe were soon on the attack again through strong runs from Flower, Howell and Thompson that won them a penalty.

The ensuing line-out was won and the drive brought Thomas a pushover try from scrummage five metres out. Howell converted from the touchline.

The game continued with a series of six Keynsham scrums, only one of which they won. Good play by Peat, Pugh, Craig Telega, House, Andy Ball, Nock and Howell won a penalty. They chose to throw the ball to Scrase, who flopped over for a try in the corner.

Keynsham rallied and scored when their forwards drove over from a five metre line-out. The conversion was added. Within three minutes Winscombe had cancelled out this score. Pugh’s kick gained 60 metres and as Keynsham tried to run out of defence, a hurried Keynsham kick was charged down by Kieran Clarke for a converted try.

Winscombe’s final try was scored by Thomas, who picked up to drive over for his second try which was converted.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus