Fifth consecutive cup victory for Shipham
- Credit: Archant
Shipham defeated Cleeve West Town A in defence of their Challenge Cup title.
Cleeve West Town A 2
SHIPHAM won their fifth consecutive match with a win over Cleeve in defence of their Challenge Cup title.
The first-half was a real battle in a mud bath and some poor finishing from Cleeve let the visitors off the hook.
You may also want to watch:
Cleeve were awarded a penalty, but keeper Stone saved his eighth consecutive penalty and the score remained goal-less at half-time.
After the break, good link-up play between Green and Nicholas saw Green open the scoring. Shipham doubled their lead soon after with Newson crossing for Green to slot home from close range.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Almost immediately, Cleeve got a goal back, but Shipham restored their two-goal lead when Nicholas netted following a touch from Newson, before Cleeve scored again.
Man of the match went to Sam Nicholas, with George Stone and Chris Green not too far behind.
Challenge Cup round 1: Cleeve West Town A 2, Shipham 3.
Division 2: Worle Rangers 2, Clevedon Utd A 3.
Division 4: St George (E-in-G) A 6, Portishead Town Colts 9.
All other games postponed.
Hospital Cup round 1: Yatton Ath Res v Portishead Town A (K Gould).
Vardon Cup round 1: South Park Rangers v St George (E-in-G) A (S Acton); Worle Res v Clapton-in-Gordano (T Sharpe).
Keyes Cup round 1: Selkirk Utd v Wedmore Res (I Smith); South Park Rangers Res v Shipham Ath (I Madge); Westend Res v Congresbury A (T Boylan).
Division 1: Berrow Res v Hutton (R Connolly); Congresbury Res v Weston Super Seagulls (I Campbell); Tickenham Utd v Cleeve West Town Res (A Raggett); Winscombe Res v Draycott (C Simmons).
Division 2: Burnham Utd A v Axbridge Town (S Freeman); Churchill Club 70 Res v Locking Park (A Murphy); St George (E-in-G) Res v Nailsea Utd B (M Sprague); Sporting Weston v Worle Rangers D (D Pinnock); Uphill Castle Res v Clevedon Utd A (P Fisher).
Division 3: Banwell Res v Cleeve West Town A (T Billinghurst); KVFC v Shipham (J Collard); Portishead Town B v Cheddar A (B Carter); Wedmore v Winscombe A (S Cahill); Westend v Wrington Redhill Res (D Poole).
Division 4: Kewstoke Lions Res v Portishead Town Colts (J Locker); Pill Utd v Worle Rangers Res (A Smith); Portishead Caledonian Thistle v Hutton Res (K Fox).
Division 5: AFC Nailsea Res v Clevedon Utd B (W Jones); Axbridge Town Res v Uphill Castle A (B Dancer).