Fifth-place finish for North Somerset gymnast at Rio Olympics
- Credit: PA
North Somerset gymnast Ruby Harrold helped her teammates secure a historic fifth-place finish in the all-round team final at the Rio Olympics last night (Tuesday).
Harrold, who lives in Langford, got her team off to a good start with a difficult routine on bars.
The fifth-place finish for Harrold and her team means it is the best Great Britain’s women have done in the gymnastics since 1928.
Harrold’s opening score was 14.833. It had a difficulty of 6.3, and she received a score of 8.533 out of 10 for her execution.
Afterwards, Harrold tweeted to say: “Whether we’ve got a medal around our neck or not, we’ve made history for the country.”
You may also want to watch:
Harrold’s team were competing alongside the United States, who took the gold the medal, and have one of the best gymnasts in the world in their squad in the form of Simone Biles.
Russia took silver, China won the bronze medal and Japan came fourth, just 0.09 points ahead of the British women.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 4 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 7 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 8 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 New leadership team for charity