Finals day at Weston
Wesotn Tennis Club has held the finals of its club tournament.
WESTON Tennis Club has held the finals of its club tournament.
In the women’s final, Maya Maxwell defeated Sabine Germane in a keenly contested match 6-0, 6-4 to secure her fifth singles title.
The men’s final was contested by head coach and reigning champion Jamie Allen, and 2010 champion Jon Parsons.
Jamie got off to a good start playing some controlled base line tennis and won the first set 6-0. Jon put up a brave fight in the second set, hitting some big forehand winners but was unable to break Jamie’s dominance and the latter took the set 6-1 for a convincing victory.
You may also want to watch:
The women’s doubles was won by Maya Maxwell and Jenny Amaru, who defeated Jayne Smith and Christine Sully 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 in an entertaining encounter. The men’s doubles winners were Jamie Allen and Mike Greedy who beat the defending champions Dean Cope and Toby Siddall.
An excellent first set, in which the tide turned one way and then the other, resulted in Dean and Toby clinching it 6-4. However, in the second set, Jamie and Mike began to get on top and they eventually recorded a 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 victory.
- 1 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 2 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 3 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 4 Cosmetics company creates candle to raise cash for Weston Hospicecare
- 5 Weston Hospicecare postpones Men's March due to possible lockdown extension
- 6 Community shop seeks new manager
- 7 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 8 Schools advised not to use mass testing as an alternative to isolation
- 9 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 10 Surgery's patient participation group disbanded
In the mixed doubles, Maya and Dean beat Suzanne Taylor and her son Lewis 6-1, 6-3.