Finals day held at Weston Tennis Club
- Credit: Archant
Weston Tennis Club held its tournament finals day with a re-run of last year’s men’s final.
WESTON Tennis Club held its tournament finals day, witnessed by a good number of spectators, who watched some exciting and competitive match play bathed in sunshine.
The men’s singles final was contested between Mike Greedy and Dean Cope in a re-run of the 2013 final. Mike took the initiative in the first set with his powerful serve and all-court game dominating from the start.
Resilient defence allowed Dean back into the set before Mike regained his composure to take the set 6-4. In a gripping second set, Dean’s forehand enabled him to take the set 7-5 and level the match.
Momentum swung back to Mike as he took control and the final set 6-1 in a match of high-quality tennis played in a good spirit.
You may also want to watch:
Maya Maxwell continued her dominance in recent years of the ladies’ singles tournament by defeating Sabine Germane 6-0, 6-3. Maya’s powerful ground strokes and absence of unforced errors proved too strong for Germane in the first set.
Germane started to find her game and fought back gallantly in the second set, but it was too little too late as Maya showed composure and took the final set 6-3 and the match.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 7 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 8 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 9 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 10 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
Nick Evans and Christine Sully prevailed against husband and wife team Chris and Rachel Barret in a mixed doubles final where momentum swung to and fro. Chris and Rachel took the initiative at the net and won a closely contested first set.
With Christine showing a tenacious defence and Nick intercepting with some sharp volleys, they were able to turn the match around and take the final two sets.
The men’s doubles final followed a similar topsy-turvy theme as Nick Evans and Lewis Taylor came back from losing the first set to defeat Chris Barret and Spaniard Louis Rubio.
A focused and motivated Louis and Chris surprised the opposition by forgoing their normal baseline game to attack from the net. They won the first set comfortably with some impressive tennis.
A shell-shocked Lewis and Nick changed tactics and regained the initiative at the net and found their rhythm to clinch the key second set before completing victory with a 6-1 final set.
The club continues to have regular coaching, winter league and general club play sessions throughout the autumn and winter and welcomes new members at reduced off-season rates.
For further information please contact club coach Jamie Allen on 07790 937448.