First-ever success at Chelmsford

Dayle Grubb.

Dayle Grubb. - Credit: Archant

Weston recorded their first-ever victory at Chelmsford, with a 2-1 victory.



WESTON move up to fifth spot in the Skrill South League thanks to their first-ever win at Chelmsford’s Melbourne Park.

They fell behind to a 36-minute goal, but came back strongly to dominate the second half and came close to doubling their score.

You may also want to watch:

Speaking after the game, Weston manager Craig Laird said: “We played some really nice football, especially in the second half and the new players are fitting in well with our system. If we keep free of injuries, we could be the surprise team in the league.”

End-to-end play was scrappy early in the first half, with Kane Ingram firing low across goal and Ashley Kington having a strong effort blocked in a crowded six-yard area.

Most Read

At the other end, Chelmsford’s David Rainford fired just over and then Tom Davis failed to make contact with Mark Hughes’ cross into the Weston six-yard box with the goal gaping.

The deadlock was broken on 36 minutes when Sam Long burst through from midfield and as Weston keeper Luke Purnell came off his line to challenge, Long lofted the ball over the keeper’s head and into the net off the underside of the crossbar.

As Weston tried to fight back, Tristan Plummer was just wide and again Ingram fired across goal.

Early in the second half, both sides exchanged corners and Weston drew level on 55 minutes when Plummer put Naby Diallo through on the right and he finished strongly by beating home keeper Tommy Forecast.

Later, Forecast made two brilliant stops in quick succession to deny Plummer and Diallo. Weston’s winner came on 80 minutes when Dayle Grubb, who was controlling the midfield with Diallo, was tripped by Chelmsford’s Mark Haines and Plummer beat Forecast from the penalty spot.

Later, Weston had strong claims for another penalty ignored when Plummer was sent sprawling, but the referee awarded a corner instead. Weston went close again when substitute Alec Fiddes, who had just taken over from Ingram, finished a speedy run by firing just over.

In a grandstand finish, Chelmsford pressed strongly and the nearest they came was when Long hit Purnell’s crossbar.


Goals: Chelmsford, Long (36), Weston, Diallo (55), Plummer (80, penalty).

Shots on target: Chelmsford 3, Weston 5.

Shots off target: Chelmsford 4, Weston 3.

Corners: Chelmsford 7, Weston 6.

Offsides: Chelmsford 6, Weston 2

Free kicks conceded: Chelmsford 11, Weston 5.

Referee: Ashvin Degnarain (Islington, London). Excellent game.

Bookings: Weston, Ingram.

Aattendance: 581.

Weston squad: Purnell, Slocombe, Monks, Kington, Jamie Laird, Knowles, Diallo, Trowbridge, Plummer (Hemmings 86), Ingram (Fiddes 81), Grubb. Subs (not used): Callum Laird, Kirk, McClaggon.

ON Saturday, Weston will be looking to make it three wins in a row when 18th in the table with four points Boreham Wood provide the opposition (3pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter