First-ever victory at Bath

Weston recorded their first-ever victory at Bath’s Twerton Park in more than 30 visits.



WESTON wrote a little piece of history as they recorded their first-ever win in all competitions at Bath’s Twerton Park in more than 30 visits over the seasons.

They opened the scoring in the opening minutes and were well on top in the first half, only for Bath to equalise with a dubious penalty on the stroke of half-time.

You may also want to watch:

The home side dominated for long spells in the second period, but Weston struck again inside the final 15 minutes to take all three Blue Square South points and move up to sixth spot in the table, one outside a play-off place, only on goal difference.

Weston went into the game missing striker Chas Hemmings who unfortunately fractured a wrist in training, Kayne McClaggon, who was due to go on loan to Yate Town, taking over.

Most Read

Playing up the slope, Weston went on the attack and were rewarded on four minutes. A Bath player was offside just inside the Weston half and from Lloyd Irish’s free kick, Jamie Price headed on to Ross Stearn wide on the right who threaded his way through the Bath defence and crossed for Kane Ingram to beat keeper Jason Mellor from close range.

As Bath tried to get into the game, they found the Weston defence of Price, Martin Slocombe, Matt Villis and Jamie Laird on top of their form, and all they had to show were distance efforts by Tom Nichols and Aaron Brown, easily dealt with by Irish.

On the stroke of half-time, Kerry Morgan’s rasping low effort was spilled by Irish in the rain, and as he attempted to regain possession, he was adjudged to have tripped veteran striker Charlie Griffin. Griffin picked himself up and scored from the penalty spot.

One of the referee’s assistants picked up a leg injury in the clawing conditions and the game was held up for 15 minutes until a substitute was found.

Buoyed up by the goal, Bath started the second half in dominant mood, bossing the midfield play, but were unable to break down the Weston defence. Their best chance came on 68 minutes when Irish one-handedly punched Chris Allen’s cross to safety as Griffin closed in.

During this period, the sky opened and in absolutely terrible conditions, the game continued.

The winning goal came on 78 minutes when Stearn and skipper Ben Kirk prised the ball from a Bath defender and crossed into the six-yard box where Mellor dropped the ball for Ingram to pounce again to seal the historic win.


Goals: Bath, Griffin (45 penalty), Weston, Ingram (4, 78).

Shots on target: Bath 7, Weston 4.

Shots off target: Bath 3, Weston 3.

Corners: Bath 4, Weston 3.

Offsides: Bath 5, Weston 1.

Free kicks conceded: Bath 12, Weston 9.

Bookings: Bath, Connelly. Weston, Slocombe, Grubb, Ingram.

Referee: Richard Hulme (Radstock). Good game.

Attendance: 683.

Weston squad: Irish, Price, Slocombe, Diallo (Grubb 60), Villis, Laird, Stearn, Kirk, McClaggon, Ingram, Trowbridge. Subs (not used): Monks, Egan, Kington, McGregor.

ON New Year’s Day, Weston will be looking to record a league double when Bath City visit the Woodspring Stadium and on the following Saturday, January 5, Weston are at home again when Tonbridge Angels provide the opposition (3pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus