First Stableford of the year held at Weston
Weston Golf Club held its first Stableford competition of the year.
A field of 114 players took to the Weston fairways for the first Stableford competition of the New Year.
The course was in remarkably good condition considering the amount of recent rainfall. Overall winner and third round of the Quarterly Cup Division 1 was John Davidson with 40 points. Graham Osman was runner-up with 38 and Chris Homer third with 38. Division 2 winner was Andrew Zanelli with 39 points. Second was Hong Chow with 36 and Stephen Smith third with 34.
A four-man Texas scramble was the setting for the first competition of the new year for Weston seniors. Despite the sometimes torrential downpours, the greens were excellent and scoring surprisingly good.
The winners, with a nett score of 57.9 were Maurice Miller, Michael Monaghan, John Rowsell and John Stokes. In second place and two shots adrift were Stephen Burroughs, Ian Freeman, David Holder and Nigel Jillings. Third place went to Anthony Barry, Jim Brown, Ron Kelley and David Reynolds.
You may also want to watch:
In a quiet week for competitive golf at Worlebury, the mixed section held centre stage.
A good field turned out on a soggy Sunday to play the latest round in the build-up to the Philpott Trophy final in the spring.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 People encouraged to have Covid booster to protect them from virus
- 6 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 7 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 8 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 9 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 10 WIN: Tickets to UK Pink Floyd at Weston Playhouse
Lady vice-captain Sue Kinch, and her partner Ray Collick, made light of the conditions and left the field trailing in their wake, romping home with 44 points. Past lady captain Maxine Gardiner and the evergreen Tony Westren, came second with 39, just edging out Emma Bourton and old hand Nick Extence, who were a mere point adrift.