First-time visitors Potterne victorious at Weston
- Credit: Archant
Weston slumped to a home defeat against first-time visitors Potterne.
POTTERNE visited Weston for the first league meeting between the two sides and went away with a 64-run victory.
The visitors elected to bat first and got off to a decent start as Cullen and De Souza found early boundaries. Charl Willoughby removed Cullen (9) held at second slip by Chris Davidson before bowling De Souza in the same over.
Chris Davidson followed this up by removing Wijerathne lbw in the next over, reducing Potterne to 34-3. Young and Clark rebuilt with Clarke scoring quickly, but the introduction of Fear saw Young bowled in his first over.
Ash Allen created pressure and was rewarded when he trapped Bramwell lbw first ball and bowled Woodward without scoring, reducing Potterne to 88-6.
Sam Goodhew removed Higgins bowled and Clark stumped for a well played 44, but a partnership of 36 between De Souza and Roberts for the ninth wicket helped Potterne to 156.
Davidson returned to the attack and bowled Roberts for 28 and finished the innings next ball trapping Mason lbw.
- 1 Two cases of Omicron Covid variant in Somerset after PARTY, say officials
- 2 Convicted murderer to appeal against sentence - claiming media footage ‘impeded’ fair trial
- 3 A38 crash leaves passenger with 'potentially life-threatening injuries'
- 4 Rural 12-acre plot to be developed
- 5 50 arrests made in SIX DAYS after launch of Christmas drink-driving campaign
- 6 ELECTION: By-election candidate announced by Conservatives
- 7 Eight people hit with fines for public space breaches in Weston
- 8 Band to fundraise for Weston General radio station
- 9 Weston nursing home revs up for Rosa Ferrari's 100th birthday celebrations
- 10 Weston is second most dangerous town in Somerset, figures show
Weston’s innings got off to a terrible start as John Davidson, Ahmed and Howson were dismissed early. Andy Fear dug in well but eventually fell to an excellent gully catch by Young.
James King found the boundary three times before top edging Wijerathne, reducing Weston to 34-5. Regular wickets fell with only Goodhew (11) and Allen (16) reaching double figures as Weston fell to 92 all out.
This was another disappointing batting performance which widened the gap at the top of the league. Weston sit in mid-table having won three and lost three. The bowling attack put in another good performance, despite the absence of Stringer.
All at the club would like to thank match day sponsors Weston Rugby Club for their valued support.
T Cullen c C Davidson b Willoughby 9
L De Souza b Willoughby 15
S Wijerathne lbw C Davidson 5
E Young b Fear 17
N Clark st J Davidson b Goodhew 44
J Bramwell lbw Allen 0
A Woodward b Allen 0
D Higgins b Goodhew 16
J De Souza not out 11
J Roberts b C Davidson 28
B Mason lbw C Davidson 0
Bowling: C Willoughby 8-1-24-2; C Davidson 7.4-0-44-3; A Allen 10-1-30-2; A Fear 4-0-17-1; S Goodhew 8-0-24-2; S Ahmed 2-0-11-0.
J Davidson b Higgins 0
A Fear c Young b Higgins 4
S Ahmed c Bramwell b Roberts 3
J Howson lbw Roberts 0
J King c Clark b Wijerathne 17
C Davidson c Young b Wijerathne 5
T Ford b Wijerathne 5
J Neave b Young 7
S Goodhew run out 11
A Allen b Higgins 16
C Willoughby not out 2