Five gold medals for Bethan and Megan
BETHAN Wakefield (Backwell School) and Megan Coe (Churchill School) are members of Newport Harriers AC and they competed in the Avon County and West of England Track and Field Championships.
BETHAN Wakefield (Backwell School) and Megan Coe (Churchill School) are members of Newport Harriers AC and they competed in the Avon County and West of England Track and Field Championships. Between them they entered five Under-15 girls' events, came away with gold medals in every one and four new personal bests.
Bethan's gold medals were 100m in a time of 12.45, a new personal best, 200m in 26.74 and long jump with a new pb of 5m. Megan's gold medals came in the shot putt with a new pb throw of 7.52m and the javelin with a new pb of 28.70m.
Both girls are thrilled with their results and are really looking forward to the rest of the season.
They were particularly touched by the effort made by Ken Goodger, the Newport javelin coach, in making in journey over to offer them support and encouragement especially as he also volunteered to help out with officiating. They are both grateful for his commitment and dedication in travelling from Newport for just the two of them.
You may also want to watch:
The 100m result puts Bethan third in the UK rankings.
- 1 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 4 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 5 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 6 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 7 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 8 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 9 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 10 Mother launches fundraising challenge as she battles cancer