Battling Saints earn a point

PUBLISHED: 09:49 05 November 2010




ST JOHNS produced a battling performance to gain a well deserved Somerset County League Division 1 draw against Burnham.

Burnham Utd 2

Weston St Johns 2

ST JOHNS produced a battling performance to gain a well deserved Somerset County League Division 1 draw against Burnham.

Saints got off to the worst possible start when a hopeful long shot from a Burnham defender deceived keeper Joe Malik to give Burnham the lead. Burnham were looking threatening on the counter attack, but Saints defenders Dave Wilcox, Nick Jones, Mark Hearne and James Bennelick stopped them having any real chances.

The game became scrappy, but the Burnham keeper saved well from Levi Marlow and had to be quick off his line to deny Ross Stockhall, Jack Clark, Marlow and Wilcox.

Saints should have equalised at the start of the second half when Stockhall burst clear, beat the keeper before passing the ball to Juzzy Flavell, who was unmarked in the area, but his shot was cleared off the line.

The equaliser Saints deserved came when they were awarded a penalty following a foul on Bennelick, Stockhall giving the keeper no chance. Minutes later, Saints conceded another poor goal when Malik’s punch was volleyed home.

Saints had to dig deep and equalised for the second time when Marlow headed on a goal kick and Flavell beat two defenders before beating the keeper.

Both sides had good chances to win the game, Malik making a superb save to keep Saints level and at the other end, Hearne fired over from close range. Flavell curled a free kick just over the bar and near the end Dean Pierson cleared off the line to deny a Burnham striker and the game ended 2-2.

Bookers Wholesale player of the match was Dave Wilcox.

Cheddar Res 2 Worle 2

WORLE travelled to Cheddar, unbeaten in their last two away games, but needed to shuffle the squad around with Brad Thomas being sick on the morning and captain Jason Potter on holiday.

They were fortunate to be able to call on Conor Downs, back from Army training and also Mason Gardner.

Worle played some of their best football of the season and took the game to Cheddar. Looking assured at the back, with Matt Hill back after injury in the visitors goal, Worle took the lead when Sumption opened the scoring after good work from Gardner.

Just before the break, Cheddar equalised when the ball was pulled back for the onrushing Hawkins to beat Hill at the near post.

The second half was much the same with good work from both wingers Bushell and Hannam. Good football again allowed Sumption to score Worle’s second when his shot just crossed the line. Worle should have got a third, but a goalmouth scramble allowed the home side to clear their lines.

Cheddar had two good chances to equalise, both falling to the dangerous Hawkins and with the game running out, it took a last minute goal from Cheddar to take a point.

Ludus man of the match went to Troy Hannam.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury