Cheesemen come unstuck at basement side Portishead

PUBLISHED: 14:48 21 February 2018 | UPDATED: 14:48 21 February 2018

Cheddar FC.

Cheddar FC.


Cheddar's poor run continued when they lost to basement side Portishead Town, going down to the only goal of the game.

Portishead Town 1

Cheddar 0

Shaun Potter’s side have now gone over 180 minutes of football without scoring and after a highly-promising run which had taken them to the higher echelons of the league, appear to have fallen adrift.

Saturday’s game at Portishead was certainly a match the Cheddar management thought winnable, even though the visitors were without regular starters Chris Coombs, Sam King, Stephen Pennington and Ross MacNab.

The opening forages into opposition territory by Potter’s men were impressive, as early as the seventh minute 15-goal striker Adam Jones was through on goal, but he rushed his shot and his effort went over the crossbar.

Two minutes later, the striker fed Callum Ham with a glorious through ball and with just the goalkeeper to beat from eight yards, Ham’s strong shot cannoned back into play from the inside of the upright.

Cheddar continued their prominence in the Portishead final third when Craig Mawford thundered his 25-yard effort goalward which was blocked.

With five minutes remaining of the half, Robbi Maggs surged passed two defenders, his angled shot appearing to have beaten the goalkeeper, but home centre-back Sam Charman was on hand to divert the ball over his own crossbar.

Within two minutes of the restart, the home side had taken an unlikely lead. A swerving ball from Joe Lobb evaded the Cheddar defence and centre-forward Dan Elson outjumped Liam Kingston to head into the net.

Further chances fell to Jones and Ricky Bennett, while at the other end Liam Kingston saved well on a couple of occasions.

With time quickly running out, the home side made a double substitution to shore up their back line and in the final minute of the game, Cheddar’s Danny Griffiths appeared to be fouled twice, but the officials were having none of it

Speaking after the match, Cheddar manager Shaun Potter said: “This was another really frustrating day at the office, we dominated the game and just couldn’t get the first goal.”

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists