Cheesemen grab first point in three games thanks to late Mawford equaliser

PUBLISHED: 09:23 19 January 2018 | UPDATED: 09:23 19 January 2018

Cheddar FC.

Cheddar FC.


A late equaliser by Craig Mawford against Radstock Town, gave Cheddar their first point in three games.

Cheddar 3

Radstock Town 3

Both of these promotion hopefuls took it upon themselves to serve up an early New Year cracker for the Cheddar’s first home game for some six weeks.

Cheddar, in seventh place and with games in hand prior to the start of the game, adapted to the sticky conditions quicker than their fourth-placed opponents. The home side’s new signing Ross McNab, made his home debut and hammered his side in front from six yards latching on to Adam Jones’s back header.

McNab went close again on 22 minutes although goalkeeper Glen Murley was unable to hold the striker’s stinging drive and midfielder Stephen Pennington was first to react, driving the lose ball home from close range.

The visitors were soon back in this game less than two minutes after conceding, Fin Haines scoring a quality individual goal, appearing to effortlessly weave past two defenders to slot past Kingston.

On 38 minutes, a fine move between Jones and Ricky Bennett saw the latter unleash a powerful 20-yard shot that agonisingly went past the woodwork, but then with less than five minutes of the half, the visitors were again on level terms.

A back pass form the Cheddar midfield caused all kinds of issues for the backline and Morgan Skipp, running in from deep, lobbed the outrushing Kingston.

After the break, Town’s Will Stead went close with Kingston saving at the second attempt and Chris Coombs forced Murley into an impressive save. The hard-working Adam Jones had the ball in the Radstock net on 73 minutes, but had strayed offside. Two minutes later, Jones hit a goalbound shot that beat the goalkeeper, but was diverted off the goal-line by Radstock central-defender and captain Tom Stocks.

With 14 minutes remaining, Matt Minnis was felled in the Cheddar box following Danny Griffith’s last-ditch tackle and Town’s leading goal scorer added to his tally sending Kingston the wrong way from the spot.

Mawford went close with a free kick, before he netted the equaliser with just two minutes remaining. The referee gave a free kick for a back pass 10 yards out and Mawford blasted the ball past six players and the keeper.

With six draws in the league on Saturday, the Cheesemen remain in seventh position, although should they achieve a win at sixth-placed Devizes on Tuesday, they could advance their league position, possibly as high as fourth position.

On Saturday, Shaun Potter’s side are again away from home with a match at Wincanton Town. The following Saturday, the Cheesemen play a third successive away match (at Malmesbury Victoria) before returning to Bowdens Park for two homes games in a week (Warminster Town on January 30 Ashton and Backwell on February 3).

Following the match, manager Shaun Potter spoke to the club website, saying: “It was a tough one to take today, we started very well, we were in control at 2-0 up and then got a little bit complacent and allowed Radstock back into the game.”

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury