Cheesemen lose unbeaten run in five-goal cup thriller

PUBLISHED: 09:24 10 February 2017 | UPDATED: 09:24 10 February 2017

A great shot of a soccer ball Doni and I shot with the rest of the sports stuff. Man, the sun was hot that day!

A great shot of a soccer ball Doni and I shot with the rest of the sports stuff. Man, the sun was hot that day!

Copyright 2010 ArixMedia, LLC. All rights reserved. Licensed under the ArixMedia Content License Agreement. For more information

Cheddar lost their impressive unbeaten run against Westbury United in the cup.

Westbury Utd 3

Cheddar 2

Some four months have passed since the Cheesemen last suffered a defeat, but their impressive run came to a temporary halt when they were beaten by the odd goal in five by the 10 men of Westbury United in the cup.

With a much-changed starting line-up minus captain Adam Jones, George Booth, Ricky Bennett, Mark Armstrong, Billy Vaughan, Danny Griffiths and Craig Mawford, the Cheesemen had an unusual look to them.

The visitors went behind on 15 minutes as they failed to clear their lines properly, but they were given the opportunity to equalise on 25 minutes, after a Callum Ham free kick from distance was deliberately handled on the goal-line.

With referee Darren Gay well-placed, Westbury were reduced to 10 men. From the resulting penalty kick, Ham beat the keeper with ease to draw the sides level.

Despite being a man down, Westbury regained the lead on the hour, but back came the Cheesemen and within 90 seconds, Robbi Maggs had put Cheddar back on even terms with a thunderous finish.

With just 14 minutes remaining, the Cheesemen were awarded a further penalty for an infringement, but this time Ham’s spot kick was saved. Despite the Cheesemen being in the ascendancy and with minutes remaining, the home side broke away to score a third goal.

The Cheesemen take on second-placed Keynsham Town at Bowdens Park on Saturday (2pm).

The Cheesemen’s scheduled attempt at taking over the league leadership fell short at the weekend as their journey to Wellington was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Looking further into February, Jared Greenhalgh’s team face two further tough games when they travel to Portishead on the 18th, before they complete their February fixtures with a home match with league newcomers Malmesbury Victoria on the 25th.

Meanwhile, last Saturday’s postponed game at Wellington has been re-arranged for March 15 (kick-off 7.30 pm).

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists