Dan's double strike lifts Crusaders

PUBLISHED: 13:04 12 November 2010

Jnr Soccer Huttonv Priory un 12s

Jnr Soccer Huttonv Priory un 12s


CRUSADERS Under-14s fully deserved this 5-1 win, but Clevedon battled right up to the final whistle.

CRUSADERS Under-14s fully deserved this 5-1 win, but Clevedon battled right up to the final whistle.

The home team dominated the first half and Will Sneddon-Coombes scored a cracker. Dan Fowler, Stephen Watson and Jamie Huggins all came close, before Dylan York scored to make the half time score 2-0.

The second half continued as the first with Crusaders on top. A great move between Ronan Brittan, Jack Biggs and York saw Sneddon-Coombes make the score 3-0.

Clevedon pulled a goal back, but Fowler then outpaced the Clevedon defence to make it 4-1, and almost repeated the move but missed the target. Danny Bailey, Watson and Sneddon-Coombes again had chances, but Fowler wrapped up the game with his second of the day.

ETS man of the match was Sam Parsons.

Crusaders Under-9s A team were lucky to come away with a share of the points against Hutton.

Crusaders dominated the opening 10 minutes, but Hutton slowly came back into it and the first half remained goal-less.

The second half saw Hutton take the lead and with just a minute left, a long kick from keeper Harry Thomas-Barker, fell to Ethan Williams, who crossed into the crowded box and the ball was turned in by a Hutton player to make the score level.

Man of the match was Joshua Mitchell.

The B team game was a closer game than the score of 3-1 suggests, and it took two late goals from Hutton to clinch the points.

Crusaders came close on a couple of occasions, but Hutton grew stronger as the game progressed and went in 1-0 up at half-time.

Crusaders made changes in the second half, and equalised when Joel Bowden set up Lewis Hicks who finished well. Crusaders had a good spell and came close to taking the lead before Hutton broke away and scored. Soon after, Hutton scored again and there was no way back for Crusaders.

Man of the match was shared between Joel Bowden and Ben Griffith.

Although Crusaders Under-15s saw three early chances saved, it was Burnham who took the lead within the first 10 minutes.

Keiren White and James Lawrence worked hard up front, but it was Lawrence who was rewarded when a pass from Ryan Elkins enabled him to equalise.

At the back, Callum Wilson, Jack Bridgman, Callum Bliss-Climo, Mike Hosey and Tom Light had good games, thwarting Burnham’s attempts and when they did break through, Luke Loveridge was in good form.

Just before half-time, Cyrus Molton’s shot looked like it would be stopped, but Burnham’s keeper watched it into the net to make it 2 -1 at the break.

Both teams battled hard in the second half with attempts from Joe Godfrey and Molton both hitting the post. Jordan Bolitho made some great runs up the left and it was left to Michael Dancer to assist Molton’s shot on goal, which hit the post, the goalkeeper and finally ended up in the back of the net to make it 3-1 to Crusaders. Formula 1st man of the match went to Cyrus Molton.

The Under-11s’ top of the table clash saw Yatton run out comfortable winners after Crusaders pressed the self-destruct button in the second half.

During the first half, Crusaders had more possession and played some good football, however they gifted Yatton two goals. They wasted many chances, with nearly all the midfield and strikers failing to find the net. George Williams in defence was having a solid game.

Some tactical changes and substitutions at half-time seemed to do the trick, as Crusaders scored within two minutes of the restart, Ryan Thomas latching onto a through ball to make it 2-1.

However, sloppy defending let in Yatton to score at regular intervals to cruise to a comfortable 6-1 winning margin.

Crusaders man of the match was George Williams.

ANOTHER superb all-round team display saw Weston Town Under-13s march into the next round of the cup with an emphatic 11-1 victory over Winscombe.

Town dominated the game with some lovely passing moves through midfield to attack, orchestrated by an impressive display from Sam Fletcher.

His quick thinking and incisive passing created numerous chances for Town and they soon raced into a 4-0 lead with goals from Thomas Goodey, Josh Adams, Sam Fletcher and Dan Berry.

Winscombe managed to pull one goal back just before the break, but a solid Town defence gave them few chances to get back into the game and one superb challenge from Kieran Knapp epitomised the winning spirit running through the side.

The second half saw more Town pressure and both Adams and Fletcher grabbed their second goals before Jack Hockey hit a screamer into the top of the net.

Further goals were then added by Killian Vick and Alex Hewlett, before Berry grabbed two more to secure his third hat-trick of the season.

The Weston Super Frames man of the match was awarded to Sam Fletcher.

WINSCOMBE Under-11s had the first goal scoring opportunity against Backwell when Max Bretherton shot just wide of the post.

Jai Nevison threaded a lovely ball through for Toby Chambers, but a mistimed tackle was enough to put him off. Winscombe keeper Ben Meakin gathered well from a long range effort as the game went from end to end.

Winscombe’s Billy Berry was brought down in the box and he scored from the resultant spot kick. Winscombe finished the half the stronger with Matthew Gilmore, Piers Langford and George Fairchild all going close.

After the break, Winscombe were caught napping and Backwell scored twice. Winscombe rallied and pushed forward, seeing two efforts cleared off the line. Winscombe were punished further when Backwell added a third goal.

Theo Thornton-Matthews was brought on to add to the attack. The ball fell nicely on the edge of the area to Winscombe’s man of the match James Hart. His shot was blocked on the line, as was James Ford’s and Toby Chambers’ efforts in the ensuing melee and Billy Berry saw his effort hit the post.

Special mention to Philip Skinnarland whose defending was outstanding. Winscombe would also like to thank referee Isobel Ferris who officiated her first boys’ match.

PRIORY Under-18s won 6-1 against Nicholas Wanderers in a hard fought game.

The game kicked off with Priory maintaining most of the possession. The first goal came from Priory’s Curt Watkins. Later on, an excellent cross into the box fell to Alex Macaulay, who was fouled and scored the resulting penalty.

Towards the end of the first half, Dan Thomas scored to make it 3-0 and shortly after Nicholas hit back, scoring a header from a corner.

The second half kicked off and Nicholas caused some trouble for Priory’s defence. A quick break from Priory saw Thomas score his second goal of the game and Watkins scored a goal to earn his second.

A handball in the box resulted in a penalty to Priory, which Thomas converted to achieve his hat-trick. Man of the match was Liam Flood.

WORLE Under-15s played Kewstoke at home in what turned out to be a closely-fought contest.

The match started with Kewstoke on the attack and in the first five minutes Worle had conceded three corners, but good defence by Craig Nichols and competent goalkeeping by Ben Parker kept them at bay.

Worle then mounted a series of attacks, with Kane Chamberlain and Ben Hurd having shots saved. Worle were then on the receiving end of a concerted effort by Kewstoke and once again keeping from Parker saved Worle from going behind.

Just before the break, a scramble on the Worle line saw Kewstoke get the ball over the line for the only goal of the half.

The second half was almost a repeat of the first, with both defences playing the major part. Tyler Loveridge was tireless in midfield as Worle came more into the game.

Cory Box and Kieran Ward were unlucky on several occasions with shots just wide and in the last few minutes, Kewstoke almost scored, but were thwarted when Jamie Greatorex cleared off the line.

KEWSTOKE Under-10s A were drawn against top of the table Burnham United in the Knockout Cup.

Stand-in captain Mateo Turvey won the toss, but Kewstoke got off to a poor star when Burnham scored after five minutes. A late arrival saw Kewstoke’s Geneshuis Teboh enter the game, but despite some nice runs from Kieran Hill, Joel Crinson and Mikey Nicholls, Kewstoke were unable to stop the Burnham attack and at half-time, the score stood at 0-3 to Burnham.

The second half saw more of the same from Burnham and with 10 minutes to go, the score was 0-6 to Burnham. Kewstoke rallied and Ryan Pugh and Charlie Sweeting linked well to find Teboh along with a well-deserved goal.

Kewstoke battled on with Sam Carter, George Creech and Sweeting holding the Burnham attack. Another goal from Teboh saw Kewstoke retain their dignity and a 6-2 finish.

5aDay Box man of the match was awarded to George Creech.

The B team faced Swiss Valley in the cup. Swiss scored first, but some hard work from Sam Ford saw Kewstoke level the score and a lovely header from Zsimon Swiercrwna put Kewstoke 2-1 up at half-time.

Swiss Valley turned up the heat in the second half scoring twice, despite some good defending from Tim Page, Evan Brunsdon and Thomas Perry. Ford scored a quality individual goal but Swiss Valley were again quick to score another two goals.

A late own goal made it 5-4 to Swiss Valley and despite some late pressure from Adam Bungay, Ashley Hastewell and Ryan Hill in midfield, it finished with Valley going through to the next round.

Another thrilling match which saw goalkeeper Daniel Layden pick up the man of the match award.

Kewstoke Under-15s took all three points in a local derby against a hard-working Worle side.

In a keenly fought match, the midfield of 
Jake Groves, Ben Harris, Billy Judd, Lawrence Mayer and Jordan Sole all worked hard. In a first half of few clear cut chances, the back four of Lewis Clamp, Josh Selwyn, Tyler Marshman and Mike Deane all played a vital role in restricting the Worle forwards. Up front, James Hodgkinson worked tirelessly to close down the Worle defence.

Shortly before the half hour, Jordan Sole finished from close range to put Kewstoke ahead. During a tactical switch, Syd Camper came on in midfield.

In the second half both sides had a number of chances. Ryan Hill went close on a number of occasions and Ben Harris had a good header cleared off the line.

Connor Andrew was brought on and put in a good display at the back. As the game opened up, Luke Bryant was called upon on a number of occasions and pulled off some good saves in goal as Kewstoke hung onto their 1-0 lead.

In a strong team performance, the SB Fencing man of the match award went to James Hodgkinson.

CHURCHILL Club 70 Under-13s went a goal down to Portishead in this exciting cup tie.

Churchill reacted strongly and within two minutes, Teddy Mewes was on hand to score with a first time effort. Joe Matthews scored Churchill’s second, controlling a high bounce with one touch and volleying home from the edge of the box.

The second half saw Portishead equalise from close range and it took a fine save by Jack Burt in the Churchill goal to prevent them going ahead.

Churchill’s Woody Bourton and Brad Middleton-Cattle produced some driving runs, with Bourton converting a through ball down the middle. Portishead’s Garcia scored his second, taking the game into extra time.

With the prospect of penalties looming, Roberto Maione produced a fine dribbling run past three defenders and released a well-timed pass for Mewes to score the winner in this well-matched contest.

MILTON Nomads Under-10s A team entertained Burnbridge Wanderers in the second round of the Knockout Cup.

Good passing in midfield from Brandon Smith, Cai Williams and Olly Cunningham led to Smith’s cross to Williams being converted. Soon after, Matthew Ogborne linked up well with Cunningham to set up Smith to score Nomads’ second.

Nomads’ captain and keeper Charlie Woodards comfortably dealt with any attempts on goal. A series of one-touch play from Cunningham, Smith and Ogborne found Cunningham, who scored Nomads’ third.

After the break, Ogborne put Nomads 4-0 ahead. Harry Little and Tyler Pooley kept the play in the visitor’s half and Pooley’s excellent run set up Williams for his second goal.

Mitchell Laughton had an excellent game in defence and it was his pass that set up William Fuller to make it 6-0. Burnbridge scored twice in the final five minutes, but Nomads went through to the quarter-finals.

Lewis Barber took the Tasker Printers player of the match award.

The B team drew Nailsea United B from the division above, in the cup second round.

Nomad’s midfield offered some stylish one-touch passing from the offset, through captain Harry Beer, Phoebe Payton and Jack Rickwood. Chances fell to Janson Wheatley, Beer and Rickwood, but all just went wide.

Nailsea counter attacked, only to meet George Fulcher, Adam Drake and Charles Constable’s determined defence and Josh Jackson on top form in goal for Nomads.

Nomads’ triple substitution at half-time seemed to ignite their performance. From the restart, Alex Smithers linked up well with Jack Rickwood and Harry Beer as they tried to feed Louis Merreywether up front.

Fulcher’s accurate clearance set Beer on a solo run and his finish put Nomads in front and see them through to the next round.

The Tasker Printers player of the match went to Harry Beer.

HUTTON Under-13s entertained Weston St Johns from Division 3 in the cup and cantered to a 12-0 victory.

Hutton were dominant from the start, with the forward pairing of Zak Westwood and Matt Jones causing problems and the midfield four of Alfie Hardy, James Chudley, James Difford and Josh Pratt on form.

The Hutton defence of George Thorne, Dan Cox, Stefan Thomson-Rose and Nathan James were rarely troubled and keeper Alex Kilpatrick had a quiet afternoon.

Hutton were 5-0 up at the break, with goals coming from Hardy (2), Pratt, Jones and Westwood.

After the break, it was much the same as further goals came from Westwood (2), Elliott Smith, Thorne, Difford (2) and Jones.

St Johns played their part, showing good sportsmanship between teams from opposite ends of the league.

The A2Z Garden Maintainance man of the match went to James Chudley.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists