Wrington Redhill hold league leaders to a draw

PUBLISHED: 15:11 28 November 2018 | UPDATED: 15:00 04 December 2018




Wrington Redhill held league leaders Frys Club to a draw after playing the last half-hour with 10 men.

Wrington Redhill 2

Frys Club 2

A daunting task to host league leaders Frys, but another battling performance by Wrington Redhill saw them take a point despite playing out the last 30 minutes a player short.

Wrington Redhill stunned their visitors by taking the lead when Chris Bradley connected with Ollie Clements’ low corner and rifled past the static Lewis George in goal for Frys.

More chances were created by both sides and just before the break, Frys were awarded a penalty when the referee deemed the ball struck Jason Potter’s hand and Callum Baker duly dispatched the spot kick past Matt Hill.

After the break, player/manager Leigh White made some telling tackles, while Bradley and Rowcliffe covered much of the pitch to help the defence keep Frys at bay.

However they took the lead when Bradley’s attempted clearance was inadvertently sliced into his own net. It got worse moments later when Sam Clements was shown a red card for a tackle.

A point was grabbed when good inter passing between Moore and Thomas saw the latter slide the ball under the advancing ‘keeper for a 2-2 score line.

The game was played out with more chances for both teams and veteran club stalwart Paul Faulkner replaced the injured Thomas and used his experience to help see the game out.

Remarkably Faulkner and White played in the same Milton Nomads team more than 30 years ago and have both enjoyed long careers in the game. Another veteran, Mark Brown joined them late in the game (combined ages over 100) to ensure that the team held on to this valuable league point.

Long Ashton 2

Yatton and Cleeve United 7

Visiting Yatton and Cleeve showed no mercy to Long Ashton in this derby, with both Alexander Bird and Joshua Gibbs claiming hat-tricks.

Yatton should have gone in front as early as the fifth minute, but Jason Copeland struck the crossbar with a penalty.

He was to make amends 14 minutes later, setting up Bird to open the scoring. On 34 minutes, Clayton Matthews’ through ball found Gibbs who rounded the keeper to make it 2-0.

Long Ashton reduced the arrears just before the break, Adam Bell scrambling the ball home.

The second half was one-way traffic in to the Long Ashton box. Bird fired in a Samuel Morris cross and completed his hat-trick by smashing in Copeland’s measured cross.

A second penalty was awarded to Yatton when Morris was sent sprawling and the same player took over the spot-kick duties to drill the ball home.

Just after the hour, Joshua Carpenter carved out an opening for Gibbs who fired the ball in to the back of the net.

The games third penalty went the way of the home side on 82 minutes after Ryan Gibbs’s late tackle with Andrew Hockin putting away the spot kick.

With the last kick of the game Gibbs poked the ball home to complete his hat-trick and record his side’s seventh goal.

The man of the match award, kindly sponsored by The Woodspring Public House of High Street, Worle, went to Alexander Bird.

On Saturday, Yatton and Cleeve United travel to Burnham United (2pm) in more Division 1 action.

Winscombe 2

Hengrove Res 0

Winscombe continued their resurgence with a comfortable 2-0 win at home to Hengrove.

Hengrove turned up at the Rec with one plan in mind and that was to bully their way to a victory. What they lacked in ability was made up in effort and physicality, each time a Winscombe player got the ball they were surrounded.

The physical approach got the better of Hengrove and 10 minutes into the match their centre-half upended Harraway in the box, the referee had no choice but to point to the spot and Harraway tucked the resulting kick away.

Shortly after Winscombe won another free kick on the edge of the box, Cureton lifted a hopeful ball to the front post which Harraway smartly finished for 2-0.

Winscombe should have been out of site by half time but a string of missed chances from Harraway, Stockhall and Cureton kept Hengrove in the game.

The second half was less of a one-sided affair with Hengrove enjoying more of the ball, Winscombe ground out the victory though and have a huge game against top of the table Bridgwater on Saturday.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

More from Weston Mercury

A new family show, inspired by Hans Christian Anderson’s classic festive tale, The Little Match Girl, is coming to Clevedon’s The Theatre Shop.

Read more

A blue plaque commemorating one of Weston’s most famous architects will be dedicated this week.

Read more

Plans to join up a coastal walking and cycling route from Brean to Clevedon have moved a step closer to becoming a reality.

Read more

An innovative piece of equipment which helps people in late stage dementia is available to patients in Weston-super-Mare.

Read more

A handful of students at Worle Community School have launched a club to help anyone who worries about being bullied.

Read more

A ‘casualty’ was rushed to hospital after a crash on a major commuter route yesterday (Saturday).

Read more

A men’s social group has raised £400 for Weston’s RNLI.

Read more

An evening of true crime studies awaits a Weston audience.

Read more

Heritage experts are calling on people to help create a clearer picture of Weston’s history through a new mapping system.

Read more
Yesterday, 18:00

A team from Backwell will once again don their Santa suits and jump on their motorbikes to raise cash for a children’s charity.

Read more

Most Read Sport

Read Online

Read the Weston Worle and Somerset Mercury e-edition E-edition

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 12°C

min temp: 6°C

Useful Links

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Send Your Letters
Order Photos
Family notices
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Newsletter Sign Up

Weston Mercury twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists