MATCH REPORT: Seagulls ease past Bath City into Somerset Cup semi-finals

PUBLISHED: 21:37 21 February 2017 | UPDATED: 21:37 21 February 2017

Weston FC.

Weston FC.


Weston-super-Mare eased into the semi-finals of the Somerset Cup tonight (Tuesday) with a comfortable 3-0 win over Bath City,

The Seagulls put out a much more experienced team than their Bath City opponents and it showed.

Left back Danny Greenslade made his debut after joining on loan from Bristol Rovers earlier this week and won the man of the match award as a result.
Mohamed Chemlal looked lively in the middle of the park and neatly played the ball into Jake Lee early on, whose final shot could only be palmed away by Ben Reed. Jake Reid was on hand to follow-up but he skied his effort over the bar.

As the half wore on, the Seagulls started to really dominate and Jamie Chamberlain almost opened the scoring in style.

But his long-range strike from outside the area sailed just wide of the post.

Chances came and went for a confident-looking Weston side with Jason Pope and Reid both firing wide of the target.

All that was missing from the Seagulls’ game was the final ball in what was looking to be a relatively comfortable evening for the home side.

Pope’s good play continued on the half hour mark when his inch perfect cross found Reid on the left hand side. His neat footwork was not quite enough as young goalkeeper Reed gathered well.

But Reid was to finally get his moment almost immediately after. He worked hard to win back the ball in the middle and chipped a neat finish into the top corner. It was the least the Seagulls deserved after an impressive first half performance.

But five minutes before the break Reid nearly scored an absolute screamer of a goal. Somehow his shot from 25 yards clipped the top of the crossbar and the lively forward put his head to his hands.

The Seagulls did manage to go into the break with a two-goal advantage thanks to Jamie Chamberlain who managed to bundle home from close range after a goalmouth scramble two minutes before the half-time whistle blew.

And Weston started the second half as they ended the first – with Reid leading the line well and they forced three early corners but were unable to capitalise on the set pieces.

Joe Lennox looked the most lively for the visitors during the limited time which they had the ball.

He ran through midfield and some neat footwork looked to give Bath an opening but the Seagulls’ defence stood firm.

It took until the hour mark for Weston to finally put this tie out of the visitors’ reach when Reid – who in truth could have had five or six goals on the night – powerfully hammered his shot home from just inside the box to put the result beyond doubt.

The Seagulls held out well for the rest of the match and eased into the semi-finals of the Somerset Cup.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists