McGregor: Weston 'threw it away' in defeat to Braintree Town

PUBLISHED: 15:08 28 March 2018 | UPDATED: 15:10 28 March 2018

The Seagulls have slipped out of playoff contention. Picture: Will.T.Photography

The Seagulls have slipped out of playoff contention. Picture: Will.T.Photography


Weston-super-Mare's hopes of maintaining their push for the National League South play-offs into the final month of the season were ended on Tuesday after Braintree Town came from behind to win 2-1 at the Woodspring Stadium.

Gethyn Hill scored Weston's goal. Picture: Will.T.PhotographyGethyn Hill scored Weston's goal. Picture: Will.T.Photography

The Seagulls looked set to close the gap to the top seven after Gethyn Hill gave them the lead in the second half, but late goals from substitutes Luke Allen and Ben Wyatt gave the Irons victory.

Weston boss Marc McGregor told the Mercury his side were guilty of causing their own downfall.

He said: “We threw it away. We were so in control in the first half and should have been at least two goals up.

“As soon as we went 1-0 up we didn’t do the great stuff which got us there, which was passing the ball, move them around and waste their energy, but we just seemed to give the ball to them.

“We have to play expansive, quick, free-flowing football, but the lads seemed to want to play ugly for a bit but we haven’t got the players for that, we’ve got good footballers.”

The home fans may have been overcome with a sense of déjà vu as the Seagulls once again bossed a game without securing the points.

Weston dominated the ball, but spurned several chances to take a first-half lead. Danny Greenslade saw a good shot saved by Nathan McDonald, who showed excellent reactions to repel a deflected Jarrad Welch strike.

A certain goal was denied on the line by Ricky Gabriel, who miraculously cut out Kenan Dunnwald’s cross for Hill.

Weston continued to control proceedings in the second half, as Dunnwald’s shot deflected inches wide of an empty net.

They had the lead just after the hour mark through Hill, who slotted home after a teasing run down the right flank from Mo Baghdadi.

But the Seagulls then forfeited the impetus and allowed Braintree back into the game, and Allen drilled home from 10 yards with nine minutes to play.

And the turnaround was complete four minutes later when Wyatt’s ambitious long-range shot took a horrible deflection and ballooned over the helpless Luke Purnell.

McGregor added: “It was a very unlucky deflection for their goal, and we had a deflection where it went just past the post. That’s the luck you get, and over the past four weeks we haven’t had it.

“Football is cruel because if you asked anyone here who the better team was, they would know it was us but we haven’t had the rub of the green.”

Defeat leaves the Seagulls in 11th place, seven points adrift of the play-offs ahead of a visit to Havant and Waterlooville tomorrow (Friday).

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists