Mitchell's late goal earns three points

PUBLISHED: 17:31 04 December 2006 | UPDATED: 10:18 24 May 2010

AFTER a two-week lay-off, Phil Bater's Clevedon welcomed promotion contenders Merthyr Tydfil to the Hand Stadium. Clevedon took all three points from a hard fought

Clevedon Town 1 Merthyr Tydfil 0AFTER a two-week lay-off, Phil Bater's Clevedon welcomed promotion contenders Merthyr Tydfil to the Hand Stadium.Clevedon took all three points from a hard fought match dominated by two of the toughest defences in the league when Mitchell Page scored the winner in the 90th minute.A lively first half saw Clevedon playing some lovely passing football, but were unable to break down a well organised Martyrs defence. Clevedon's first opportunity fell to Jack Pitcher whose shot in the ninth minute was well saved by Ashley Morris in the visitors' goal. Skipper Leon Hapgood had two attempts on goal thwarted by some resolute defending. Pitcher came close to opening the scoring in the 26th minute when his shot went narrowly wide of the post. In reply, Merthyr never really troubled Danny Greaves in the home goal as they were restricted to a few half chances.Merthyr started the second half the much livelier as they went in search of an opening goal, however they were continually frustrated by a patient Clevedon defence. Mr Bater made a double substitution in the 69th minute when he brought on Mitchell Page and Danny Haines for Hapgood and Geraint Bater. Strikers from both teams were continually frustrated by hard working defending.As the clock ticked away a draw looked inevitable, however, the deadlock was finally broken in the 90th minute when Pitcher resisted a number of challenges and passed the ball to Danny Haines whose diagonal run and superb cross allowed Page to slot the ball past Morris at the far post. With five more minutes of added time remaining, Merthyr threw everything at Clevedon in an attempt to score an equaliser, and nearly succeeded in the dying seconds when a goal-bound shot emerged from a packed penalty area only to be headed off the line by man of the match Rob Scott.Referee Mr A Smith blew the final whistle as Merthyr suffered their second defeat of the season and Clevedon moved up to 12th in the league.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury