Seagulls open new season with defeat

PUBLISHED: 13:15 21 August 2006 | UPDATED: 09:44 24 May 2010

WESTON can consider themselves unfortunate to come away from South East London with nothing after giving a battling display, when they were undone by a goal eight minutes from time. Missing injured new central defender Gary

WELLING UTD 1 WESTON-S-MARE 0WESTON can consider themselves unfortunate to come away from South East London with nothing after giving a battling display, when they were undone by a goal eight minutes from time.Missing injured new central defender Gary Thorne, loan signing Leigh Henry from Swindon Town partnered Lee Jarman, while other newcomers Sekari Simpson, formerly of Bristol City and Forest Green Rovers along with Craig Loxton of Clevedon Town were in midfield.The home side started the better with Che Stadhart going close a couple of times as did Akwasi Edusi and they forced a corner, but when Weston got going, Jarman was not far off with a diving header from Darren Hawkins' free kick on 30 minutes and only a timely intervention by Welling's Jamie Day prevented John Williams heading into an empty net from Hawkins' cross minutes later.As Weston kept up the attack, Williams was on target with a headed effort, Loxton was just over from distance and home keeper Jamie Turner went full-length to punch away Scott Walker's free kick.Just before the interval whistle Williams should have done better when he rounded his marker, but fired feet wide with only Turner to beat.Minutes into the second half, Marvin Brown hit a post, but after that Welling gradually took command with Stadhart forcing another corner, Day forcing a routine save from Ryan Northmore and Des Boetang and Edusei going close.Weston brought on Marc McGregor for Williams and Mike Gillan, just released by Bolton Wanderers, for Loxton, but Welling strengthened their attack by bringing on two substitutes and as they began to dominate, the Weston midfield fell back to help out the defence, leaving Brown and McGregor fighting for scraps up front. Midway through the half, Weston had strong appeals for a penalty ignored when Hawkins was sent sprawling, and later referee Simon Long from Ipswich explained he was unsighted for the incident. Then Weston skipper Matt Rose raced unchallenged into the home penalty area, but fired narrowly across goal with Turner beaten.The crucial goal came on 82 minutes when Welling shifted the ball from left to right for Matt Bodkin to cross to substitute Andrew Sam, who recently plied his trade in Iceland, to head past Northmore from eight yards. Minutes later, Welling had strong appeals for a penalty turned down when Bodkin was tripped.On the stroke of time, Weston were awarded a free kick just outside the home penalty area, but Walker fired just wide of the near post from Jarman's touch-on.* THE Weston club have announced they have received £4,000 for the transfer of Lewis Hogg to Bath City and they will receive a further £2,000 if they gain promotion to the Conference South with Hogg in the squad, as well as 25 per cent of any future transfer fee.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Weston Mercury