Seagulls register first win at Bromley

PUBLISHED: 08:47 28 January 2013 | UPDATED: 09:16 28 January 2013

Lloyd Irish making a save.

Lloyd Irish making a save.


Weston registered their first-ever win in five starts at Hayes Lane, Bromley.



WESTON are back up to sixth in the Blue Square South table, only on goal difference, after their first-ever win in five visits to Hayes Lane.

Before the Weston party set out at 9am they were assured the pitch was playable, but in the event the match referee gave the go-ahead at 1.40pm and only after sand was spread on part of the surface.

One side of the ground and behind one goal were closed to spectators as a result of the recent bad weather. A postponement would have meant Bromley bearing Weston’s travel costs, about £800, and the game rescheduled for a midweek game, a daunting prospect for Weston.

Weston started strongly, forcing their first corner in the opening seconds and on eight minutes, Jamie Price tested home keeper Joe Welch with a strong header from Martin Slocombe’s free kick.

As Bromley, who had won four of their last five league games and had reached round four of the FA Trophy, got into the game, striker Louie Theophanous, recently signed from Staines Town, went close as did Danny Waldron twice from corners.

Late in the half, Bromley’s Liam Harwood was over with a header and Elliot Buchanan’s in-swinging free kick was well taken by Weston keeper Lloyd Irish.

The second half started with end-to-end play, and the decisive goal came on 51 minutes when the ball was played out of defence to Nabby Diallo wide on the right, who soloed from half way to the edge of the Bromley penalty area and played inside to Ashley Kington who beat his marker and fired low past Welch, who got a hand to the ball but could not stop it getting in,

Weston created a few chances to seal the win with Diallo, Kane Ingram and substitute Kayne McClaggon, who took over from Chas Hemmings, having efforts blocked by a stubborn defence.

Near the end, Bromley picked up the pace with Moses Swaibu wasting a great chance from a deep free kick and substitute Ian Daly thought he had equalised, only for Sanchez Ming’s cross to be ruled gone behind.

With only minutes remaining, Weston brought on new signing Spaniard Anton Alvarez, not enough time to make an impression.

Into added on time Theophanous, Bromely’s leading scorer with 13, was denied by the only serious save by Irish of the game.


Goal: Weston, Kington (51)

Shots on target: Bromley 3, Weston 3.

Shots off target: Bromley 3, Weston 3.

Corners: Bromley 5, Weston 2.

Offsides: Bromley 4, Weston 3.

Free kicks conceded: Bronley 7, Weston 14.

Referee: Dave Woolford (London). Good game.

Bookings: Bromley, Theophanous, Rhule. Weston, Ingram, Laird

Attendance 390.

Weston squad: Irish, Price, Slocombe, Kington (Alvarez 86), Villis, Laird, Diallo, Kirk, Hemmings (McClaggon 74), Ingram (Stearn 70), Trowbridge. Subs (not used): Monks, Grubb.

WESTON have two games next week, starting on Saturday with a visit from Maidenhead United when they will be chasing a league double having won 1-0 in October.

Then on Tuesday, they will be looking to avenge a 3-0 defeat suffered at Eastleigh. This game kicks off at 7.45pm.

Loan signing Manny Parry who was to have returned for a second spell with Weston, was again recalled by parent club Stoke City and Weston will probably now lose interest in the player.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Weston Mercury