Seagulls secure a point in exciting encounter

PUBLISHED: 20:52 27 October 2006 | UPDATED: 10:06 24 May 2010

WESTON picked up their first Conference South point in five games with an exciting display against a side one place below them in the table, equalising late on

Weston-s-Mare 3 Eastleigh 3WESTON picked up their first Conference South point in five games with an exciting display against a side one place below them in the table, equalising late on.This was a resolute performance by the squad, missing skipper Matt Rose, to come from behind three times to deservedly share the spoils.Recent signing Mike Wilce took over from Rose, and Rodrigo Turnes made his home debut, but loan signing from Yeovil Town, Craig Alcock, was left on the bench.Weston started brightly, with Turnes forcing their first corner on two minutes, but Eastleigh opened the scoring on five minutes when Andy Harris fed Andy Forbes down the left, whose 30-yard effort flew past Ryan Northmore, giving the keeper no chance of saving.Weston came close to equalising on 13 minutes when Marc McGregor put Marvin Brown in on the left, but Eastleigh keeper Wayne Shaw beat out Brown's effort.However, they had better luck on 21 minutes when McGregor's trickery took him past a defender wide on the left and when his low cross into the six-yard box was missed by the defence, but Wilce rifled the ball to the roof of the net.Minutes later, Gareth Hopkins, spotting Shaw off his line, tried a speculative effort from 30 yards that sailed just over the crossbar.Eastleigh regained the lead when the home defence failed to deal with David Hughes' free kick and Forbes beat Northmore from 10 yards. Before the interval, Northmore was kept busy, blocking efforts by Forbes twice and Danny Smith, but at the other end, Marvin Brown was just wide from McGregor's overhead kick.In the first eight minutes of the second half, McGregor forced a save from Shaw and Weston forced three corners, and their equaliser came when Hughes handled Darren Hawkins' short corner kick and McGregor scored his first goal of the season from the penalty spot.As Eastleigh came back, Jamie Brown hit the angle of post and bar and Forbes forced another good save from Northmore. The visitors regained the lead when Forbes completed his hat-trick by outpacing the home defence to fire past Northmore.Weston brought on Craig Mawford for Wilce and they kept plugging away and were rewarded on 82 minutes when Marvin Brown got on the end of Craig Loxton's free kick and beat Shaw with a shot on the turn. Keeping up pressure, Weston forced another corner in the last minute and manager Frank Gregan sent on Mike Kilgour to add height to the attack, but the Eastleigh defence held out.* THE Conference South match scheduled for tomorrow against Yeading has been postponed because the Londoners have an FA Cup fixture.No alternative opposition has been found, so the next match at Woodspring Park is on Wednesday, November 1, against Street in the Somerset Premier Cup, kick-off 7.45pm

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists