Strong second-half showing sees Weston Town defeat Hutton to lift cup silverware

PUBLISHED: 08:12 21 May 2019 | UPDATED: 08:12 21 May 2019

Weston Town win the Vardon Cup with a 3-0 victory over Hutton A.

Weston Town win the Vardon Cup with a 3-0 victory over Hutton A.


A fantastic second-half performance from Weston Town saw them remain on course for the treble after winning the Weston & District League’s Vardon Cup over Hutton A.

Goals from captain Connor Harding-James, Bruno Castro and Dan Hiscox helped secure a 3-0 win for Weston at Nailsea United.

And Weston went into the game having remained unbeaten all season after recording two consecutive wins over Hutton, starting brightly.

Castro got himself into the box and passed across for Hiscox, but saw his tame effort straight into the arms of Till.

Till's men responded with their first shot on target when Daniel Dishkin let fly from 25 yards out only to see it well saved by Rob Hannah.

A good run from Josh Baker saw his shot fly just wide before Till made himself tall and saved well from Hiscox in the last notable moment of the half.

Harding-James would open the scoring early in second half from a free kick.

After Hutton were caught offside, the free kick was whipped in and volleyed home by Harding-James as Till got a hand to the ball, but could only palm into the back of the net.

It would be 2-0 not long after as Baker picked the ball up in his own half and ran forward before the ball found its way to Castro, who caused problems with his pace all afternoon.

Castro cut in from the left and shot from a tight angle which Till could only parry into his net.

Phil Baker's men grew in confidence as the game went on and would make it 3-0 through Hiscox as his eased finish past Till sealed the win and secured the silverware.

Hiscox could have scored another one as his low shot looked destined to hit the back of net, but Till got down and clawed it away, before a good passage of play allowed Hiscox in again but he saw his shot go over the bar.

To compound the misery for Hutton, defender Nicky Daniels was sent off for violent conduct for retaliation after kicking out on Harding-James.

This was to be the last action of the match and Weston now have a chance to win their third trophy of the season in Tuesday's Atwell Memorial Shield.

Bakers's men go up against Division One side St George Easton in Gordano on Tuesday at 7.30pm at Cheddar AFC.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury