Mixed weekend for Weston-super-Mare as they seal point at home but suffer bank holiday Monday defeat

PUBLISHED: 11:31 29 August 2017 | UPDATED: 11:38 29 August 2017

Weston lost 2-1 at Truro City on bank holiday Monday.

Weston lost 2-1 at Truro City on bank holiday Monday.


Weston had a mixed weekend of results, as they came from 2-0 down on Saturday to seal a well-earned point at home to Chippenham Town, but slipped to a 2-1 defeat on a glorious bank holiday Monday at Truro City.

Saturday’s match did not get off to the best start when Dave Pratt opened the scoring for the visitors after he was given too much space. Luke Purnell did his best to close him down but he was unable to stop him slotting home.

Weston then looked to get back into the game after half time, but soon found themselves with a mountain to climb when Matt Smith took advantage of the Seagulls’ forward play.

Thanks to a heavy deflection, Weston were 2-0 down, but the comeback started straight away.

Just two minutes later, a Danny Greenslade corner was met by Jake Reid, who powerfully headed home.

The teams at Truro City yesterday (Monday).The teams at Truro City yesterday (Monday).

It was then all Weston as they searched for that elusive equaliser and it came through in-form midfielder Dayle Grubb.

He controlled the ball well and his half-volley was always destined for the back of the net.

The Seagulls could have even won the match late-on and man of the match Jacob Cane almost capped off his performance with a goal.

But his side-footed effort was saved, before Ashley Kington’s excellent hit from 30 yards was also parried away.

Just two days later and the Seagulls were in action again, this time in sunny Cornwall.

But their visit to Truro City could not extend the side’s unbeaten run to four matches.

After just three minutes, Grubb had a great chance to open the scoring, after Jason Pope was deemed to have been fouled in the box.

But the spot-kick was well saved by Tom McHale and the early miss proved costly.

Just past the half hour mark, Cody Cooke was brought down in the penalty area by Jamie Laird and Tyler Harvey made no mistake with his set piece, sending Luke Purnell the wrong way.

Manager Marc McGregor made a change at the break, with Laird leaving the field for Bristol City loanee Ashley Harper.

But the change did not have the desired effect, as just past the hour mark, the home side doubled their advantage.

Cody Cooke’s shot was saved by Purnell, but the shot-stopper could not hold onto the effort and Cooke had an easy finish into the back of the net.

There was hope, though, for Weston as Jake Lee slotted an excellent effort home on 78 minutes.

But it was not to be for the Seagulls and they could not pull off a second comeback in three days.

Weston are now second from bottom in the National League South after seven matches and host Havant and Waterlooville on Saturday at The Woodspring Stadium. Kick-off is at 3pm.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists