Weston fall to consecutive home defeats after 3-1 loss to Farnborough

PUBLISHED: 18:33 07 December 2019 | UPDATED: 19:16 07 December 2019

Aaron Parsons celebrates scoring his first goal for Weston since rejoing the club this summer.

Aaron Parsons celebrates scoring his first goal for Weston since rejoing the club this summer.


Weston fell to their second consecutive home defeat after Farnborough scored two goals in the final 15 minutes at The Optima Stadium.

Seth Owens's long range strike gave Boro the lead once again before Ashley Sealey-Harris made sure of the win two minutes before time.

Aaron Parsons had looked to give the Seagulls a point after he cancelled out Reggie Young's penalty but it wasn't to be, on a day when Weston renamed their outside bar as Joe's Bar, in tribute to long-time supporter and clubman Joe Varian.

Scott Bartlett made one change from his side's 3-2 defeat to Swindon Supermarine as new loan signing Brad Ash was named in the starting line-up in place of Jake Mawford.

The visitors also made a single change after Andrew Musungu was not named in the squad and replaced in defence by John Oyenuga.

And Spencer Day's men had the first opportunity after four minutes when Young drove his shot wide of the far post.

Farnborough went even closer five minutes later after Bradley Keetch's cross was almost turned into his own net by Greg Tindle but Luke Purnell saved well with his legs.

Despite George Dowling going close with a deflected effort, Sealey-Harris combined well with Connor Cullen but the former could only send his shot just wide.

And after Barnes sent his effort wide from 25 yards, Farnborough won themselves a penalty in the 30th minute when a long ball over the top sent Cullen racing towards the penalty area.

Connor Davies clipped him just inside the box and, with visiting supporters demanding a red card, he was shown a yellow before Young sent Purnell the wrong way from the spot and slotted the ball the bottom right hand corner.

With the game running away from the hosts, manager Bartlett made two changes in a tactical switch as he replaced Brandon Barnes and Davies with Sam Hendy and Ryan Jones.

The changes looked like they had worked as Parsons netted the equaliser on the stroke of half time, just as two minutes of injury time was announced.

Dan Martin picked the ball up and his cross to the back post found centre-back Parsons who, having celebrated his 21st birthday last Thursday, directed his header past Liam Beach to level.

The second half was a quieter affair and both teams cancelled each other out, until Owens found the back of the net out of nothing.

The left back picked the ball up around 35 yards out and let fly and Purnell, who was caught in two minds about what to do, could only get a hand to it, before the ball nestled in the back of the net.

Moments later Weston had Parsons to thank after the defender cleared off the line from opposing captian Thomas Leggett.

However, with Weston piling forward, The Yellows caught the hosts out with a sucker punch and got their third on the counter attack.

Sealey-Harris, who looked a threat all day, saw his low strike from the edge of the area find the bottom corner to make it four games without a win for Weston.

Purnell, Davies, (Jones 41), Martin, Laird, Parsons, Tindle, Dowling, Cane, Barnes, (Hendy 41) Ash, Pearce.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Weston Mercury