Weston fall to defeat in close fought encounter away at Swindon Supermarine

PUBLISHED: 17:42 30 November 2019 | UPDATED: 15:29 01 December 2019

Scott Laird's 13 goals this season have come from six penalties. (Picture: Josh Thomas)

Scott Laird's 13 goals this season have come from six penalties. (Picture: Josh Thomas)


Weston’s away woes continued after they fell to their fifth league away game in a row despite Scott Laird’s two penalties couldn’t prevent them falling to a 3-2 defeat at Swindon Supermarine.

Harry Williams started the scoring after 10 minutes when he tapped home on the rebound before Matt Liddiard found the back of the net with a header from a Henry Spalding corner.

Provider turned goalscorer Spalding then made sure of the three points after sliding home from debutant Alex Hensell's cross to make it 3-0 after 36 minutes.

However, the visitors drew into the game after Scott Laird got one back in the 52nd minute before grabbing a second in stoppage time to set up a nervy finish at the The Webbswood Stadium.

The Seagulls came into the game making 11 changes from Tuesday's Southern League Challenge Cup 12-1 defeat away to Paulton Rovers and carved the first opening of the game after three minutes.

Brandon Barnes could only see his free kick hit the side netting before the hosts opened the scoring seven minutes later.

A long ball over the top picked out Conor McDonagh, who showed great strength to hold of Weston's defence before shooting towards goal.

Purnell managed to get behind to it but he could only parry the ball into the path of Williams and the former Gloucester City striker slid in between Dan Martin and Greg Tindle to net on the rebound.

Scott Bartlett's men searched for an equaliser and after Aaron Parsons's header from an Isaac Pearce's corner went wide, the task got much harder eight minutes later.

Spalding's whipped corner was met by the head of captain Liddiard, who powered downwards past Purnell and despite the best attempts of Martin and Jacob Crane on the line, The Marine went 2-0 up.

Weston's shot stopper did well to save from McDonagh moments later and after George Dowling's 25-yard-shot was pushed onto the post by Martin Horsell in the 33rd minute, that save would prove to be crucial as Purnell had to pick the ball out of the net again a few minutes later.

Hensell, who has just signed on loan from Nuneaton Borough, sent his cross across the face of goal and found Spalding at the back post.

And the former Cirencester Town midfielder managed to get enough of the ball to send it over the line, despite the best attempts of Cardiff City loanee Martin to keep it out as Lee Spalding's men had found the back of the net three times in a 26 minutes spell.

Moments later and Weston went close to getting themselves back into the game after Barnes's 25-yard curling effort was well saved by Horsell.

Laird then went close just before half time after sending his effort wide before the former Forest Green Rovers defender rolled home from the spot after a Cane's ball hit the hand of Matt Coupe seven minutes into the second half.

Bartlett's men have shown determination and perveance on a number of occasions this season and went close to cutting down the score after Pearce's shot was easily gathered by Horsell before Barnes went even closer a minute later.

Martin rode a challenge as he drove forward and after seeing his cross deflected into the path of Barnes, but the the former Dandenong Thunder FC forward could only scuff his shot straight into the arms of Horsell.

After being played in by Jamie Edge, McDonagh had a chance to put the game out of reach but his rising drive sailed over Purnell's crossbar.

And when Barnes saw his curling effort go just wide after a one-two with Charlie Madden, the Seagulls were given their second penalty of the match just as the game entered stoppage time after substitute Ryan Jones was bought down by Coupe in the box.

Laird calmly stepped up to send the ball into the same corner for his 13th goal of the season to set up a grandstand finish.

But Bartlett's men fell just short of picking up a remarkable draw, ahead of next Saturday's first of three successive home fixtures with the visit of Farnborough.

Purnell, Mawford (Madden, 45), Martin, Dowling, Parsons, Tindle (C), Davies (Jones, 86), Cane, Barnes, Laird and Pearce.

Attendance: 349

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Weston Mercury