Weston-super-Mare 3 Whitehawk 1 - Seagulls off to a flying start

PUBLISHED: 18:15 06 August 2016 | UPDATED: 19:17 06 August 2016

Weston warming up before the match.

Weston warming up before the match.


Weston-super-Mare got their National League South campaign off to the perfect start with a convincing 3-1 win over Whitehawk today (Saturday), which delighted manager Ryan Northmore.

Weston 3

Mawford 45

Hamilton OG 46

McCoulsky 71

Whitehawk 1

Pope OG 16

WESTON: Purnell, Simpson, Williams, Cane (Mullings 25), Pope , Fortune ©, McClennan, Mawford (Meechan 77), McCoulsky, Grubb (Dowling 68), Kington

Subs not used: Barnes, Wring

WHITEHAWK: Covolan, Mann, Yan, Favarel, Hamilton, Llenga (Marimon 80), West, Torres ©, Mills, Abdulla, Culley (Agostinii 55)

Subs not used: Rodrigues, M’Boungou, Munoz

It was a high-tempo encounter from the start and Weston dominating the early stages but struggled to keep possession in attacking positions.

After nine minutes, the Seagulls’ stand-out performer Shawn McClousky had a glorious chance to give the home side the lead.

He burst through the Whitehawk defence and caught out Covolan in the visitors’ goal but his shot sailed wide of the post.

But Weston were left shell-shocked after 16 minutes when the visitors took the lead against the run of play.

Mike West sprinted forward on the right hand side and caught out the Seagulls’ defence on the break.

Jason Pope attempted to clear but could only watch as his shot slid into the back of the net.

But Weston did manage to grab a deserved equaliser just before the break.

Dayle Grubb’s perfectly placed corner was met by Jake Mawford and his towering header was only ever destined for the back of the net.

It was then more of the same in the second half.

Almost immediately after the re-start the Seagulls took the lead.

McCoulsky’s scintillating run down the right caused Marvin Hamilton problems and the Whitehawk defender was left blushing as his touch took the ball past Covolan.

McCoulsky then capped off his man of the match performance with a goal of his own 20 minutes from time.

He cleverly beat the offside trap and his classy finish secured the win and ensured the home side made the perfect start to the season.

Manager Ryan Northmore told the Mercury he believed his side deserved more goals for their dominant performance.

He said: “I felt the players went out and did what was asked of them. I think had we scored a few more goals that would have been a fairer reflection.

“We have shown a bit of character, re-built and didn’t let it affect us. That made the victory even sweeter.”

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury