Worle emerge comfortable winners over Burnham

PUBLISHED: 11:40 27 October 2017

Worle AFC v Burnham Utd.

Worle AFC v Burnham Utd.


Worle emerged the winners against Burnham United in a match played in driving rain and strong winds.

Worle 3

Burnham United 0

Worle came out winners in a game played in driving wind and rain.

Burnham had inflicted Worle’s only defeat so far, but this was a different affair with Worle at home and they played with the wind and rain at their backs knowing that taking the lead in the first half was vital.

Worle found it hard to find the back of the net and chances came and went for the front two of Ryan Hodrien and Ryan Down, who had to be replaced in the first half through injury, with the returning Lewis Cahill taking his place.

Worle were disappointed not to be going in at half time with a lead, but the home side upped their game in the second half and dominated the next 45 minutes playing against the wind and rain.

It was Jason Potter who gave Worle the lead when he drifted in from the right and powered his header into the far corner. Worle were now in control and it was a brace from Jack Hodrien to put the game out of Burnham’s grasp.

This win sets up a local derby away to Uphill Castle (3pm) with Worle in second spot.

Chilcompton Sports 3

Wrington Redhill 0

This was an intriguing encounter away to table-toppers Chilcompton Sports, who have been scoring goals freely in recent matches.

Manager Graham Cheeseman had to make enforced changes to a defence that had not conceded for the past four games, with the central duo of Sam Clements and Sam Johnson absent.

The game was fairly even with both sides probing and having to contend with a strong cross wind. The home side had most of the possession, but it was 10 minutes into the game before Matt Hill was called into action parrying away a long-range effort.

Joe Moore, Callum Vickery and Leigh White all went close before Chilcompton netted when the ball was stabbed home.

Despite this setback, Wrington Redhill continued to compete and Mike Rowcliffe and Adam Caulfield kept plugging away, but Chilcompton broke away again to extend the lead on 37 minutes.

Starting the second half at 2-0 down, Wrington Redhill were penned in their own half but were only able to create half chances through Vickery and Rowcliffe.

In added on time, the home side scored again after a three-man passing move on the break ended with top scorer Ryan Gay rifling in a shot which Hill had no chance of saving.

The man of the match for Wrington Redhill was awarded to Callum Vickery.

On Saturday, another stern test will be home to Shirehampton, which should be another exciting encounter to look forward to.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists