Worle held to a draw in derby against Nailsea & Tickenham

PUBLISHED: 09:34 16 November 2018

Nailsea & Tickenham v Worle FC.    Picture: MARK ATHERTON

Nailsea & Tickenham v Worle FC. Picture: MARK ATHERTON


Worle were held to a draw by Nailsea & Tickenham in their latest league encounter.

Nailsea & Tickenham 1

Worle 1

Worle travelled to Nailsea & Tickenham buoyed by their cup win at home to Cheddar Reserves the week before and earned a point.

Worle were forced into a couple of changes, but were fortunate to be able to call on Mike Kay for his first start this season and he had an excellent game throughout.

The visitors started the game on the front foot and the front three of Taylor, Hodrien and Rendall kept the home side occupied and it was from set pieces that Worle looked dangerous.

Tickenham’s chances were few in the first 45 minutes, but they could have gone ahead when Osgood met the ball with his head, but narrowly put the ball wide.

Worle were looking good with the midfield three of Parker, Kay and Nelson and it was the away side who were looking the more dominant side.

After the break, Osgood had a couple of chances for the home side, but Dangerfield in the Worle goal managed to get his foot to one shot to turn it over.

It was from a set piece with 20 minutes to go that the home side took the lead when captain Gary Freeman managed to get his toe onto a goalmouth scramble to force the ball into the back of the Worle goal.

Worle now had to throw caution to the wind with both full-backs Jack Hodrien and Marcus Walters given licence to get forward and Worle bringing on both Ryan Down and new signing Tom Vowles for the last five minutes.

The visitors equalised when Taylor got to the byline and picked out Jack Hodrien at the far post and he made no mistake with his header from a couple of yards out. Worle will take great heart from this display with their fluent football and on Saturday they entertain Stockwood Wanderers at the Rec (2.30pm).

Stockwood Green 1

Wrington Redhill 1

After their mauling at the hands of Shirehampton last week, Wrington Redhill restored some pride with this hard-fought draw away to Stockwood Green. Player/manager Leigh White made a few changes both in team selection and formation in a bid to tighten the team and provide outlets at the front.

Chris Holland returned and partnered Mike Rowcliffe as the attacking duo and Adam Caulfield came in to the centre of midfield alongside White.

In defence there was a recall for Andy Lilley pairing with Sam Clements, with Jason Potter sweeping behind them. This allowed the full-backs of Callum Briggs and Ollie Clements to get forward, while Chris Bradley completed the midfield.

In a first half of few chances, Stockwood’s Daniel Salvage saw his shot strike a post and Tom Phillips blazing over the bar.

Another breakaway by the home side saw a long-range shot from Lee Millard stinging the hands of Matt Hill before ending in the net for a 1-0 lead.

After the break, Holland tested the home keeper before Ollie Clements found the net from outside the box for the equaliser.

Tails were now up and Wrington Redhill were seeking a winner. Holland and Rowcliffe were harassing the home defence with their tremendous work rate, but to no avail.

The hard work of the defence should not be overlooked with Sam Clements a colossal at the back, well supported by Lilley and Potter, with Hill looking more assured in goal.

The Bill Gough man of the match was awarded to Adam Caulfield.

Saltford 4

Yatton and Cleeve Utd 2

Two goals down inside 15 minutes, Yatton were always up against it in this Someret Cup Premier/Division 1 tie, their cause not helped by playing the last third of the game with ten men.

Saltford went ahead on 10 minutes, Aaron Messenger’s 30-yarder creeping in the corner of the net. Five minutes later it was 2-0, Scott Wilson heading in from close range following a corner.

Yatton began a comeback three minutes in to the second period, when Alexander Bird set up Samuel Morris, who crashed the ball home. It was level-pegging three minutes later, Jason Copeland getting an early ball in to Bird, who scored with aplomb.

But, despite the best efforts of veteran defender Michael Taylor, that was as good as it got for Yatton.

On the hour, Ryan Gibbs trudged off for an early shower, having received a second yellow and three minutes later, the unfortunate Copeland nodded the ball into his own net.

Four minutes from time, Yatton’s misery was complete as Messenger slotted the ball home on the six-yard line, to round off the scoring.

The man of the match award, kindly sponsored by the Woodspring Public House, Worle, went to Michael Taylor.

On Saturday, Yatton and Cleeve United entertain Bridgwater Town Reserves (2.30pm) in Division 1 of the Uhlsport Somerset County League.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists