Worle knocked out of cup semi-final by solitary goal

PUBLISHED: 12:34 18 April 2018 | UPDATED: 12:34 18 April 2018

Worle AFC  v Nailsea & Tickenham.

Worle AFC v Nailsea & Tickenham.


Worle were knocked out of the Somerset Senior Cup semi-finals by Premier Division side Nailsea & Tickenham by just one goal.

Worle 0

Nailsea & Tickenham 1

Worle went out of the Somerset Senior Cup semi-final to Premier Division Nailsea & Tickenham in a game that swung either end throughout the 90 minutes.

It was decided by the only goal on the 20th minute mark from a corner that was converted by Nailsea centre-half Dan Cook.

Worle were finding chances at a premium, but looked to have levelled with five minutes of the first-half remaining when the ball fell to Simon Hudson netted, but unfortunately the ball went through the net and the referee was not confident the ball went in, so both sides went into half-time with the away side leading 1-0.

The second half was much the same with Nailsea looking threatening from set pieces where Worle were looking to catch them on the break with the tireless running of Tom Adams and Ryan Hodrien.

This combination could have levelled the game when a through ball to Hodrien fell to his feet and he lobbed the keeper, but the ball was cleared off the line. Another chance came when Worle were camped in the Nailsea penalty area, but Mcmanus couldn’t convert with his header.

This was the last meaningful chance and the Nailsea & Tickenham side held on for the win and go to the final where they will meet Premier Division Chilcompton.

Worle now have eight games remaining where six are at home with Nailsea & Tickenham Reserves coming to the Rec this evening (Thurs) in a 6.30pm kick-off.

Wrington Redhill 1

Stockwood Green 4

This was the third defeat in a row for Wrington Redhill and perhaps the most disappointing of the three.

It was the Stockwood team that started strongly and early on Ethan Johnson cleared an effort over the bar. At the other end, a Chris Bradley cross eluded everyone and struck a stanchion.

As the game progressed, three Wrington Redhill players got on the score sheet, but unfortunately two were own goals. It was the home side that took the lead on 17 minutes with Leigh White providing the pass for Clark to fire in from just outside the box.

After that it all went pear-shaped and Stockwood equalised when Dan Twomey struck the ball confidently past Matt Hill.

On the half-hour mark, a good passing movement between Ollie Clements, Whitey and Clark saw the effort pushed away for a corner. The resultant corner was gathered by the keeper and on a swift counter-attack a corner was won the other end.

Twomey whipped the ball across and the unfortunate Whitey sliced the ball into his own net at the near post.

It got worse when again from a breakaway following a Wrington free kick with Mitch Brooks slotting home a pass from Jake James for a 3-1 half-time lead.

After the break, Ethan Johnson had the misfortune to score the game’s second own goal heading into his own net following another Stockwood corner.

Manager Cheeseman sent on all three substitutes, Will Perry, Sam Clements and Jack Board, who all played their part in a late rally to try and salvage something out of the game which ended at 4-1 to Stockwood.

Winscombe 2nd XI 5

Tunley 1

After not playing for almost a month due to the weather, Winscombe played fine football to defeat Tunley 5-1.

With the sun on their backs, but still a very tacky pitch they played the ball around with aplomb. After a slow start they opened the scoring through Ash Brown after great work down the right flank by Alex Bailey.

They went two up when after a free kick by Zac Gorman found 16-year-old Luke Collier who scored his first goal for the team. That quickly turned into three when Gorman fired a cross from the right and Brown got his second.

The second half started with Winscombe on the front foot and they went 4-0 up when a superb free kick from Owen Griffiths 30 yards out found the top corner.

In a rare foray into the Winscombe box, Tunley scored when a shot was deflected and although keeper Darren Draper got a hand to it, it fell to an attacker who scored. Winscombe got their fifth when Brown set up Kieran Smith who scored easily.

This was a superb team performance with the back four of Bailey, Collier, Norris and Horwood looking after Draper well. The midfield of Cosham, Griffiths, Gorman and another 16-year-old Joe Couling controlled it to give Brown and Ash Mason the chance to enjoy themselves.

Cheddar are the visitors on Saturday. Spartan Motor Parts man of match went to the whole team.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists