Worle progress in the Somerset County Cup

PUBLISHED: 09:43 10 November 2017




Worle defeated Premier League side Ilminster to make it through to the last eight of the Somerset County Cup,

Ilminster Town 1

Worle 3

Worle progressed to the last eight of the Somerset County Cup at the expense of Premier Division side Ilminster.

This was always going to be a tough draw, but Worle thoroughly deserved their 3-1 scoreline. Things did not look good when in the 20th minute Ilminster took the lead, giving keeper Ben Dancey no chance.

Worle were playing the more attractive football and it was a long throw-in from Elliot Nelson who found the head of Mike Hansford to put the sides level. Man of the match Connor Downs was dominant at the back and the sides went in level at half time.

Worle looked more in control of the game and Ollie Clements gave the visitors the lead when he drilled home from 18 yards. Worle brought on Lewis Cahill for Hansford and it was his goal that sent Worle through to the quarter-finals when he lobbed the keeper from 40 yards for undoubtedly the goal of the game.

This was a great performance away from home and Worle are now looking forward to the draw and the next round resumes in March next year.

This Saturday Worle are home to Ashton & Blackwell in another cup game, kick-off at the Rec is 2.30pm.

Wrington Redhill 1

Middlezoy Rovers 0

Wrington Redhill started the game with plenty of possession, but did not really create much and were restricted to two long-range efforts from Jake Horton and Callum Vickery.

Middlezoy grew into the game and had an effort cleared off the line by Leigh White in the first half and just after the break, Wrington managed to clear a goalmouth scramble.

The home team still looked dangerous going forward and when Vickery and Horton combined, Vickery’s cross found Mike Rowcliffe in space and he finished calmly to put Wrington Redhill one up.

Soon after Vickery got clear again but his shot was deflected over by a Middlezoy defender. The visitors were in charge for last half hour of the game, but Wrington Redhill defended resolutely.

Ethan Johnson blocked a clear chance and Sam Clements won many headers, while Matt Hill in goal for the home team had a great game. He pulled off a brilliant save near the end as a fierce shot was deflected and he got across and pushed it wide.

This result owed so much to team spirit which manager Graham Cheeseman has brought with him to Wrington Redhill, the whole team had worked their socks off for each other.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists